Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer

3 posters

Go down

Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer Empty Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer

Post by OTB Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:18 am

The price of fame: the end of his promising army career, alcoholism, a murder in Memphis, and his violent death in Guatemala:

https://www.stripes.com/living/ballad-of-the-green-berets-singer-s-biographer-talks-about-barry-sadler-s-meteoric-rise-murder-charge-violent-death-1.465731

And who knew he wrote historical fantasy pulp fiction? 22 novels in his "Casca: The Eternal Mercenary" series... Surprised

"Casca is a series of historical fantasy novels created by author Barry Sadler in 1979. The stories revolve around the exploits of Casca Rufio Longinus, the Roman legionary who drove the Holy Lance into the side of Jesus Christ on Golgotha. As a result of this action, Casca is cursed with immortality, and he is to wander the Earth aimlessly, always as a soldier, until the Second Coming." - Wikipedia

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer Empty Re: Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer

Post by Darby Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:37 am

It's funny, a lot of SF guys revere the song. Most dislike the man, but for a huge variety of reasons. For my dad, he liked the song, but disliked Saddler because the other guys that wrote most of the song (according to them) got completely aced out. They hold serious grudges for what they consider a stab in the back.
I have fond memories of hearing it sung at SFA meetings as well as Blood Upon The Risers, and even lazing around in front of the record player/stereo on weekend mornings spinning that record among others. I've never felt particularly polarized about it, but then again I came waaaaay late to the debate!

Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

OTB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer Empty Re: Interview with SSgt Barry Sadler's biographer

Post by OTB Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:36 pm

I'm curious to read this book now, and at least one of his novels.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by yankee sam Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:08 am

Read many of the CASCA novels. They covered various
wars and were really good.
yankee sam
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:39 pm

That's good to know - I will seek them out.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by yankee sam Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:12 am

Forgot to mention, he did one where Casca was a French
Legionnaire in Indochina!
yankee sam
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:04 am

Sounds good! Cool

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down