Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VC /NVA Booby Traps - Document

2 posters

Go down

VC /NVA Booby Traps - Document Empty VC /NVA Booby Traps - Document

Post by Goose666 Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:56 am

Sadly not the greatest scan but a good read for those interested in training and what was taught about VC/NVA booby traps.

Personally I didn't realize the NVA had their own version of the claymore, a directional AP mine. Their was round. Rather than rectangular.
Goose666
Goose666
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

VC /NVA Booby Traps - Document Empty Re: VC /NVA Booby Traps - Document

Post by Corisco Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:37 pm

Yep, they had access to much of the Soviet/ Communist Bloc mine inventory of the time, including MON-100 directional mines. They also made their own.

In Phuoc Tuy the VC relied heavily on the largesse supplied by Brigadier Graham's Mine Barrier. Eleven kilometres of fence and barrier minefield, supposed to be overwatched by PF/RF detachments and patrolled but largely left unatttended. The predictable result was that the VC became highly adept at lifting the mines, mostly M16 jumping jacks, even the ones with anti-lift devices attached and then put them to use themselves.  They received help fom the climate with monsoonal deluges often lifting the mines from the force of surface run off.

Quite the worst single decision made in Australia's involvement in Vietnam. Mines, many from mines salvaged from the barrier, was the single highest cause of combat losses to 1ATF. An enormous own goal. Also a tragic validation of the maxim that an obstacle not covered by fire is not an obstacle at all.

https://apjjf.org/greg-lockhart/2447/article
Corisco
Corisco

Goose666 likes this post

Back to top Go down