Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flight Stands

+2
OTB
Garryowen
6 posters

Go down

Flight Stands Empty Flight Stands

Post by Garryowen Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 pm

I did a posting on my helicopter models for B Troop 1/9 Air Cavalry. I had two requests for info on my flight stands. I thought I should do it as a separate post so someone browsing would see it. Here is my original post on B/1/9 Air Cav:
https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com/t97-bravo-troop-1-9-air-cavalry

The stands were made a number of years ago. Back then, in response to a request on the earlier version of Fields of Fire Reloaded, I described it when it was all fresh in my mind. I have gone back to look at my stands again. Fortunately I still had packaging for some of the parts I bought for the project to get information.

What I am describing here is to support my 1/72 helicopters up to the size of an H-34. It also works for my Cessna 0-2 Skymaster and Pilatus Porter.  Larger, heavier aircraft may require a larger version. I have done that for my metal diecast A-1 Skyraider.

They are basically a telescoping, magnetic pickup tool on a base. There is a corresponding magnet on the bottom of the aircraft.

THE BASE.  The base is a square of 1/16” Plexiglas. To that is attached a metal tube, K&S Stock # 3033 3/8" x 0.35". It is cut to 2" long. K&S is carried by most serious hobby shops. The inner diameter of the tube must fit your magnetic pickup tool. So you should buy the pickup tool first. The exact ones I bought I could no longer find. You may need a different size tube and therefore a different stock number.

To attach the tube to the base, epoxy two washers (with an inner diameter to fit the K&S tube) to the center of the base. There is no magic to two washers. You need enough height or thickness to support the pickup tool. Together, mine seem to measure about 5/32”. Epoxy the tube inside the washers.

That completes the base. Of course, you don’t have to use Plexiglas. I chose it as it is clear and the table shows through. You could choose to terrain your base and use Plexiglas or something else.

NOTE: While I used 3/8" tube, you need the tube to be able to fit your pickup tool.

THE TELESCOPING SUPPORT (a.ka. THE PICKUP TOOL). I got mine at Harbor Freight, but a search of their website found none of the size needed. However I found this at Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Telescoping-Magnetic-Pick-Up-Tool/3115793?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-hdw-_-google-_-lia-_--_-fasteners-_-3115793-_-0&store_code=203&placeholder=null&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoNnY7efK6QIVVP3jBx01JA0ZEAQYASABEgKacvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It looks like the same thing. I don’t know what the diameter is, so you should buy the pickup tool first so you know what size tube you need. I like there to be enough room that it goes in and out easily, but not for it to wiggle around, particularly when there is an aircraft on the other end.

I do not cement the pickup tool into the base. I guess you could, but storage is easier if you can remove it.

HERE IS THE KEY. You need the correct polarity to cause your magnets on the pickup tool and the helicopter to attract each other, not repel each other.

When I bought mine at Harbor Freight, I discovered that the polarity would vary from tool to tool with no indication on the packaging of what it was. Of course, unless one is trying to pick up magnets, the polarity on the tool would not matter. For us it does.

I solved this by taking a magnet with me. I could test it through the packaging to see if it was okay or not.

That takes care of the base. By the way, there may be a pocket clip on the pickup tool. Just break it off.

THE AIRCRAFT MAGNET. Now you need a magnet on the bottom of your model.
The magnets I used were from K&J Magnetics, item D42B-N52. Here is the link:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D42B-N52

I epoxied it on and tried to get it at the center of gravity.

WARNING! The N52 magnet and the magnet on the tool will make a strong bond. Be careful attaching and detaching the aircraft to and from the pickup tool.

While they are pretty stable, but you do have to be careful of where you put them and how you handle them. Obviously the higher the telescoping aspect is extended the less stable the whole thing will be. So far I have been fortunate and have not had any wrecks. With some players, it is probably better for you to move the aircraft and position it for them.

Here are photos that may make it clearer.

Flight Stands Image011

Flight Stands Image112

Flight Stands Image211

Flight Stands Img_1821

Tom

Flight Stands 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Flight Stands Empty Re: Flight Stands

Post by OTB Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 pm

Looks great! I have a couple of telescopic stands, but had trouble sourcing cheap transistor radio aerials so ended up using fixed stands of slightly differing heights.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sat May 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Yours was a good solution, OTB.

Tom

Flight Stands 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtraCrispy Sat May 23, 2020 7:31 pm

When taking magnets apart slide SIDEWAYS don't pull apart. Much easier on the model.

I bought six of the Corsec ones before they stopped trading. Same idea but they had screw in parts so you could screw it together then unscrew it for storage. The best part is the topper like you have that lets you put the model at a fun angle - nose up or banked.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
aka The Mouse aka ScaleCreepMinis
ExtraCrispy
ExtraCrispy
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thomastmcc Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 am

excellent thanks tom
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Sun May 24, 2020 1:23 am

Very cool!
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:46 pm

Tom, I meant to ask this AGES ago, but forgot. I don't think you mentioned in the above, where you got the topper on the magnet telescoping tool.

For me, this is key.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:35 am

I don’t know what you mean by “topper”. The magnet is on top and it comes with it. I bought mine at Harbor Freight and the polarity was randomized. So I took along the magnet I was using on the aircraft. Holding my magnet near the one at Harbor Freight, even through the packaging, enabled me to see if the attracted or rejected each other.
Tom

Flight Stands 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 pm

It's ok, nevermind Tom. I was going to show you a pic, but apparently the image hosting company I've been using for FOF after all these years, pulled a "Photobucket" and I can't link images anymore. Mad

What I was assuming was a "topper" is the adjustable part of the telescopic rod. But I just found out asking about it over on Facebook, is that it's part of the actual tool. Here in Canada it's marketed as a "Magnetic Telescopic Pick Up Tool with Bendable Shaft".

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-magnetic-telescopic-pick-up-tool-bendable-shaft-0581658p.0581658.html?rrecName=Customers%20Also%20Viewed&rrecReferrer=search&rrecProductId=0581658P&rrecProductSlot=1&rrecSchemeId=search1_rr&rrec=true

Grabbed one from Canadian Tire last night and it's GREAT! And only $5. I'll have to find compatible magnets now, but part of this mystery is now solved.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

thomastmcc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 pm

Yes, that’s the tool. Remember to check polarity with your magnets on the aircraft.

Flight Stands 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:25 am

Copy that.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:21 am

I bought the magnets I used on my aircraft from
K&J Magnetics.
www.kjmagnetics.com
I found an old label. Has the number DA2-N52. Grade N52 Disc 5/8” x 1/8”. They work fine with my plastic 1/72 scale aircraft. Their polarity has always been consistent.

Tom

Flight Stands 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

thomastmcc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:08 am

Thanks. I have dealt with K&M when I was going thru that "Micro Chopper Madness" phase, and they were always a pleasure to deal with. And very affordable.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down