Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam

5 posters

Go down

US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam Empty US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam

Post by BadMoon Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:19 am

I reviewing the TO&E for a Mechanized Infantry Brigade, there is something I don't understand, but never having been a grunt...

A Mechanized Infantry Brigade would have:

An Infantry Battalion
-3 Companies
-1 Support Company
A Mechanized Infantry Battalion
-3 Companies
-1 Support Company
An Armored Battalion
-3 Companies
-1 Bridge Platoon
-1 Mortar Battery
-1 Engineering Platoon
-1 Recce Platoon
Brigade Support
-AN Artillery Battalion
-An Engineering Company
-An Armored Cavalry Troop

The Artillery and Engineering units I more of less understand. The Armored Cavalry Troop (ACT) was to search for the enemy, exploit weakness in enemy formation, provide flank security, and to help "seal" any breaches. The Armored Battalion rumbled around the battlefield like a bunch of vicious rabid rhinos on steroids shooting up enemy tanks, or most likely in Vietnam were attached to units of the infantry to provide "support". The Mechanized Infantry Battalion (MIB) rode into battle in/on their tracks, dismounted, and engaged the enemy. I would guess that this is the case, since the TO&E indicates that each track in the MIB carried a 9 man squad, and there's no way 9 guys could fight from the rear hatch of a M113. Every unit is mechanized BUT the Infantry Battalion (IB)! What did the IB do? The TO&E indicates no organic transport...so they used the old heel toe express to get into battle? Hitch hiked? Stayed at home securing the camp, drinking beer, and reading Playboy?

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam Empty Re: US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam

Post by Darby Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:11 pm

Naw, they'd either hitch a ride with the armor boys, or be hauled around by helo from Division assets. Or used more as local security and patrols.

US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam Empty Re: US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam

Post by FlyinSquirrel Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:17 pm

BadMoon wrote:
I would guess that this is the case, since the TO&E indicates that each track in the MIB carried a 9 man squad, and there's no way 9 guys could fight from the rear hatch of a M113.

That would be a tight squeeze. 1 person gets to be the driver. One person is TC and gets to poke out the top hatch. That means 7 guys in the back of a 113? With ammo, food, and all the gear. Having been in both a M113 and M577 I can't imagine that'd be comfortable at all! I wonder if some were being transported in trucks?
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TailEndCharles Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 pm

FlyinSquirrel wrote:
BadMoon wrote:
I would guess that this is the case, since the TO&E indicates that each track in the MIB carried a 9 man squad, and there's no way 9 guys could fight from the rear hatch of a M113.

That would be a tight squeeze.  1 person gets to be the driver.  One person is TC and gets to poke out the top hatch.  That means 7 guys in the back of a 113?  With ammo, food, and all the gear.  Having been in both a M113 and M577 I can't imagine that'd be comfortable at all!

Not comfotable but is any ride in the Army that comfortable? Maybe by chopper!

You are correct that with Mech squads the tend to include the drive and TC and 8 in the back, the seats each side are supposed to sit 4 Pax each.

I wonder if some were being transported in trucks?

Kind of, Darby nailed that one up above, the would be transported by Brigade/Div Assets or on base defence.

TEC

US Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade - Vietnam 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:35 am

TailEndCharles wrote:Not comfotable but is any ride in the Army that comfortable? Maybe by chopper!

One advantage of being the driver of a HUMVEE is the driver's seat has springs. All the rest are just thin cushions on a metal box! (or at least the ones we had in the early 90's).
But yeah, comfort doesn't seem to be a consideration. Wink
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtraCrispy Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:04 am

If taxpayers wanted you to be comfortable, they'd make you all officers Cool

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
aka The Mouse aka ScaleCreepMinis
ExtraCrispy
ExtraCrispy
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down