Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difference between FNG2 and FNG3

4 posters

Go down

Difference between FNG2 and FNG3 Empty Difference between FNG2 and FNG3

Post by Burdie Smith Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi, I wonder if rhere is a big difference between these 2 rulesets? I have FNG2, why should I consider buying the 3rd version.?
Thanks in advance.
Burdie Smith
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Difference between FNG2 and FNG3 Empty Re: Difference between FNG2 and FNG3

Post by FlyinSquirrel Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Darby will be able to answer when he sees this. I think some of it was to upgrade it to match the changes that occurred with the Two Hour Wargames core rules.

-Rod

Difference between FNG2 and FNG3 7zgz5aA
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtraCrispy Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:33 pm

The difference between 1 and 2 was small. Between 2 and 3 it is fairly substantial. For example, In Sight tests are now opposed die rolls. IMHO it only matters if you are not happy with 2nd ed.

Myself, i still play 2nd Edition "Nuts!" as it is by far my favorite version. I have added house rules here and there so I call mine "Cashews!" - i also have extensive notes in the margins added after each game....

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
aka The Mouse aka ScaleCreepMinis
ExtraCrispy
ExtraCrispy
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:47 am

I generally agree with The Mouse on the differences.

But I would say that the 3rd version has changed the game dramatically. It has taken it more in the direction of the popular rules of today. In my case, that is not particularly good.

However, there are a few points in 3 that I would like to work into what I use without losing the tremendous realism and excitement of 1 and 2. I cannot see myself ever playing 3 as published. However, I need to add that is my personal preference. Most gamers today would probably greatly prefer the current version, 3. As one rules publisher rather recently advised, make the rules simple, the game quick to play and don't worry too much about the history. I think that sums up the trend in wargaming rules. I do not like overly complex rules, but I want the best balance of historical realism and playability that I can get.

Like The Mouse (I love that name), I prefer the mechanics of Nuts!, in my case what is called the Final Edition, which it was not. The 4th Edition is the most current. It is just a variation of those in all 3 versions of FNG. To me, the mechanics of Nuts Final Edition provide the best balance of historical realism and playability.

In my opinion there are two problems with FNG 2T. The first is that the In Sight is way too slow. Each figure rolls separately. Thus a group of
six figures requires 6 die rolls that you need to keep track of. It is very realistic in determining the order of firing as it can go back and forth, between both sides and even the figures within that side. But this is where, in my opinion, too high of a price on the playability aspect was paid for the gain in historic realism. Nuts, The Final Edition (which it was not) went back to the In Sight check being taken by the group.

The second problem is that vehicles are not covered at all in FNG 2T. Aircraft are, but not vehicles. The plan was to do a second volume to cover land vehicles and riverine, but that never happened.

So what I use is a hybrid of the original FNG, primarily for the vehicle coverage, with the actual mechanics for the reaction tests of both the vehicles and the men from Nuts Final Edition (which it was not), and the aircraft coverage of FNG 2T. Many of the other aspects of FNG 2T, I use as well. Just about everything but the In Sight check being done on a figure by figure basis.

Unfortunately, I have rather a hodge podge of a rule binder. I would like to synthesize it all into one. Unfortunately my formatting skills with Word are not very good, and I have had a lot of trouble making the two column format work, particularly with respect to the tables.

I think FNG and the Two Hour Wargames reaction systems are the best man to man Vietnam combat rules I have ever seen. I could never play the third edition as written, but I am happy to have it as there are a few points that I really like. But to me it is a totally different game than its predecessors. But the price is quite reasonable, and it just may be what many, many other people would love.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Burdie Smith Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks a lot everybody for the detailed replies. I agree with you Tom that some rules in second edition are a bit too much but on the other hand everybody is free to get rid of some rules. I personally feel that the outgunned ranking is too much in favor of the AK-47 versus the M-16. But I’m perhaps not correctly understanding these rules?
Burdie Smith
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 am

Burdie, I think there must be some misunderstanding on the outgunned ranking as both the M-16 and the AK-47 are a ranking of 3.

From the rules:
3 SF, BAR, SMG, and shotguns.

They are both SF which stands for Select Fire, i.e., semi-automatic or full automatic. So the ranking of both is 3.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Burdie Smith Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks Tom, I obviously need a pair of glasses. Thought the M16 was a 2. Makes sense now. Thanks for replying!
Burdie Smith
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum