Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac?

4 posters

Go down

River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac? Empty River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac?

Post by irishserb Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 am

I think it was in Don Sheppard's book, "Riverine" that he mentions VC bunkers built into the river banks, that were both hard to see and quite hard to destroy. Does anyone know of any sources for more detailed info about the appearance and/or construction of these bunkers?

I would like to represent them in some of my gaming, and am curious about their design and appearance. Given that they were hard to see, I imagine that there is little outward indication of them, but still would appreciate any idea of what they might have looked like, or any peculiar design characteristics relating to the their water's edge placement.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

irishserb
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac? Empty Re: River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac?

Post by FlyinSquirrel Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:12 am

I'm not familiar with it, but the thought of bunkers along a river. All I can think of is snakes! River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac? 1067739113

-Rod

River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac? 7zgz5aA
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:30 am

I recall a description in 'Brown water, black beret' that they were often built into higher river banks, and usually only had a small slit visible. Often a pit was dug and green palm logs used to line it. The sun exposure baked the mud into almost concrete strength, and often Nipa palms or other vegetation was planted in front and on top of them for camo so they also couldn't be spotted from the air.

There were open backed ones too that were sometimes easier to see as the light might come through the firing ports. These were usually for recoiless rifle or RPG positions.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by irishserb Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Cool, thanks Darby. That significantly increases the amount of detail that I had about them. I've had that book setting on my shelf for several years now, and for one reason or another just haven't gotten to it. Guess its time I should actually read it.

"All I can think of is snakes"... I like that.
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by General Castries Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Set out below (probably upside down) is a diagram of the river bunkers used by the Vietminh against French river craft. The Vietminh would dig bunkers on the raised banks of the river/canal. The bunker's gun ports would be close to the level of the river, making them very difficult to spot, especially when they were camouflaged with reeds, bushes, etc. For RCL positions, there was usually a cleared space directly behind the bunker, due to the back-blast from the weapon. As the Vietminh would effective tunnel into the river banks, the bunkers were very sturdy and difficult to spot.

River Bank Bunkers on the Bassac? River_13

General Castries
General Castries
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by irishserb Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:24 am

Oh, that is outstanding, many thanks!!
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down