Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SS.11 wire-guided missiles

3 posters

Go down

SS.11 wire-guided missiles Empty SS.11 wire-guided missiles

Post by Darby Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:07 am

I've been scouring for info of the effectiveness of the SS.11 WG missiles that were used at various points, but have only come up with one reference photo in the book US Army Aviation in Vietnam ( https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Aviation-Vietnam-Specials/dp/0897475968 ) and this from the Wikipedia page:

"After the cancellation of the SSM-A-23 Dart in 1958, the United States began evaluating the SS.11, and accepted it into service in 1961 as the AGM-22A. The missile was deployed from UH-1B Huey helicopters using either the XM11 or M22 armament subsystems. In U.S. Army service, the SS.11 was used mainly to develop tactics employing antitank helicopters and to train future helicopter crews. In September 1965, 12 U.S. Army UH-1B helicopters belonging to a special unit, fitted with the XM-58 stabilized sight arrived in South Vietnam. One month later, they fired AGM-22s in combat.[7] In May 1972 in response to the North Vietnamese armor used in the Easter Offensive six UH-1s equipped with AGM-22s were deployed in Quang Tri Province. The system was rated moderately effective against tanks, but was extensively used against bunkers and fortified structures. All units were withdrawn to the U.S. by 31 October 1972."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS.11

Anyone have better google-fu or sources?

SS.11 wire-guided missiles 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

SS.11 wire-guided missiles Empty Re: SS.11 wire-guided missiles

Post by air bubbles Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:47 pm

a fair bit of info on this site

https://www.army.mil/article/181893/
air bubbles
air bubbles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:21 pm

air bubbles' link really covered the TOW well. I hae the book Darby mentioned but did not even remember a photo SS.11 WG being included. Also, I have done a fiar amount of reading on helicopter action in Vietnam and have no recollection of running across it.

I just interrupted myself and pulled out Winged Sabers: The Air Cavalry in Vietnam by Lawrence H. Johnson, III. There is a photo of the M22 System on a UH-B of C-3/17 Cav at Fort Benning. There is one paragraph saying in part "The system consisted of six AGM22B (SS_!!) wire guided missiles, mounted on external stores. Each missile was fired individually and guided to the target by the co-pilot/gunner utilizing a six-power binocular sight."

It goes on to say it arrived in Vietnam with most early deploying units but was withdrawn due to a lack of armor targets.

Included in a table of statistics is:
Max speed 415 mph
Time of flight 22 sec.
Max range 3500 meters
Minimum range 500 meters
HEAT round penetration 23.5 in.

Nothing more on its effectiveness.

Tom

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:41 am

Brilliant work, thank you both!

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 am

By the way, Darby, I love:

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down