Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defoliation?

4 posters

Go down

Defoliation? Empty Defoliation?

Post by uglyfatbloke Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Photos of FSBs always seem to be pretty much bare earth...is that a failure of observation on my part? If not, how was grass etc kept in check...chemical agents?
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Defoliation? Empty Re: Defoliation?

Post by thomastmcc Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 am

most of the firebases were cleared with bulldozers so took a while for vegetation to grow back but i imagine allied troops would be clearing it with burning too . agent orange not sure if used near fire bases..
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:28 am

That's really what I was wondering about - in a tropical country it does not take long for vegetation to grow back, but the sites seem pretty bare.
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:38 am

If they were worried about that, a controlled burn-off of grass is easy enough - just wait for the wind to blow the right way, shake out a jerrycan of gasoline, and drop a match.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:10 am

OTB wrote:If they were worried about that, a controlled burn-off of grass is easy enough - just wait for the wind to blow the right way, shake out a jerrycan of gasoline, and drop a match.
That makes sense I suppose. The 'why' is pretty obvious, I was just curious about the 'how'.
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:18 am

There are a lot of stories of different FSB commanders being thumped by the brass for not keeping the grass clear in their wire, mainly because it often resulted in enemy infiltration. Burning was very unusual as fire mixes badly with emplaced claymore, trip flares and foo-gas. Weed killer was extensively used, and in some books you can read about how troops hated the duty because they always ended up with chemical burns, lung irritation or other rashes.

Most SF A-camps would actually cut the grass once or twice a month, depending upon how often they replaced or repositioned their claymores and flares. USMC and Army policy of "resting" line units on FSBs usually resulted in too much laziness/tiredness to do that sort of chore.

As for the interiors of the bases being bare... a lot of that has to do with there being no topsoil after construction, just bare deep dirt or clay. Couple that with constant foot traffic and there's no way for anything to grow. Down in the IV Corps delta the actually had the opposite problem: plants would sprout from the sandbags as the topsoil and loam was very deep in that region. At SF A-camps they'd pour concrete over the tops of sandbags and the tops of berms to keep them both from eroding in the rains and stop plants from sprouting.

Defoliation? 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:27 am

That's an excellent explanation Darby; many thanks!
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum