Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africans in Vietnam War

3 posters

Go down

South Africans in Vietnam War Empty South Africans in Vietnam War

Post by TailEndCharles Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:59 pm

South Africans in Vietnam War 16886110

Not many folk know this, but a few South Africans served in the Vietnam war. One of them, a veteran of the Flying Cheetahs in Korea, would be killed rather painfully, as just a few months prior to 9 Squadron’s last mission in Vietnam on the 19th November 1971, Flight Lieutenant ‘Lofty’ Lance would lose his life – 7th June 1971.

Now aged 40 years old, Lofty was back in the thick of things flying close support missions again in his RAAF Bushranger Huey. On the 7th June 1971 whilst flying RAAF Iroquois Bushranger’ number A2-723, Lofty Lance was providing gunship, ammunition resupply and casualty evacuation support for Bravo Company of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment and Centurion tanks of the 1st Armoured Regiment, who were involved in an attack on a Vietnamese enemy bunker system in Long Khanh province as part of Operation Overlord.

During an ammunition resupply, Lofty Lance’s helicopter was hit by enemy fire and crashed into trees killing both him and his gunner, David John Dubber.  Lofty’s co-pilot and one other crew member survived with minor injuries.  An initial Casevac was attempted but had to be aborted due to intense enemy fire.

Source unknown.

TEC

South Africans in Vietnam War 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

South Africans in Vietnam War Empty Re: South Africans in Vietnam War

Post by Darby Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:39 am

Wow, 40 is pretty "elderly" to be flying combat missions. Really unfortunate he didn't make it.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:30 am

40 would have seemed ancient to me when I was in the Army. I remember some of the staff sergeants at 27 seemed like "old men" to me!!

Sorry to hear he died so close to the end of his tour.

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: