Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Army Ghost Platoon

+4
thomastmcc
Deadhead
OTB
TailEndCharles
8 posters

Go down

Australian Army Ghost Platoon Empty Australian Army Ghost Platoon

Post by TailEndCharles Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:58 pm

Here is a nice little unit for some of you to back story your Aussies, especially for 28mm skirmish rules.

In 1969 the Aussies put together a unit called the 2nd Defence and Employment platoon (2D&E).

The platoon was made up of 39 junior NCO's and privates, no sergeants, no officers and for many many years no record in the official histories or TO&E's or ORBATS.

By coincidence led by an Ex-British Marine commando who had transferred to the Aussie Army.

News article here: Ghost Platoon - ABC News

Australian Army Ghost Platoon 16690110

As the articles state there is a book (click for Amazon link) about the platoon and its activities and the book was a big part in the Australian Army finally acknowledging the existence of the platoon.

Australian Army Ghost Platoon 81j1tu10Australian Army Ghost Platoon 15699710

The book is now on my to read list.

Oh, and finally recognition by by the government:

Australian Army Ghost Platoon 16725510

TEC

Australian Army Ghost Platoon 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Australian Army Ghost Platoon Empty Re: Australian Army Ghost Platoon

Post by OTB Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:43 am

Good stuff - I think you should make posts like this into a thread on the Australian Army in Vietnam. Cool

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadhead Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:55 pm

But if you do that (a great idea) why not remember the ARVN input? "Never mind the quality, feel the width" is a long running UK joke. There were lots of them...,one of the biggest armies in the world at the time, and they were not all corrupt, useless, treacherous, cowardly. Remember An Loc.

But of course the Korean involvement will never be mentioned. They were "effective" at the least. Can't beat an ANZAC unit though. They are usually selected as an an elite and will do better than most.
Deadhead
Deadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by thomastmcc Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:59 am

great post mate
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:31 pm

Really interesting.

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:59 am

OTB wrote:I think you should make posts like this into a thread on the Australian Army in Vietnam

Maybe a subforum dedicated to conversations and references to both the ANZAC and Australian involvement in the war? Just wondering if there will be enough content to make it worth it. But I could leave that to TEC and OTB to beef it up with info.

Let me know. Australian Army Ghost Platoon 2340259300

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 am

Oooooo, another book to read! And good on Dr. Kelley for doing the right thing for the veterans rather than worrying over image and "official archive records". Correcting records should be a good thing, as historical accuracy should be prized over style or image.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmila Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:04 am

Interesting story ; I don't know of this ; I'll have to read the book .

to me, the expression "D&E Platoon" is common in training wings as the "Demonstration and Enemy" platoon which is the 'official name' for an 'unofficial formation' which exists on an ad hoc basis as it is needed .
eg; if I want to run a lesson on break contact drills I need at least six bodies to 'demonstrate' how the drill works . usually we would have the class sitting somewhere with the demonstration squad roleplaying through the drill in sight of the class in response to a signal .. eg shots (blanks) fired .
.. usually the squad would be thrown together from other NCOs who are not delivering lessons at the time I'd need them, but if I am delivering a larger lesson (eg night platoon harbours ) I'd need a whole platoon (including three sections with machinegun teams and a 'demo' platoon headquarters) .. for this I might have to rope in a few cooks, medics, admin clerks and drivers to make up a whole 'platoon'.

The D&E platoon has it's own stores list (enemy uniforms and equipment ) and armoury (enemy weapons or training models of enemy mines IED etc ) ... so yes it is somewhat of a "ghost Platoon" that exists without having a nominal roll .

If I may say; the standing 'D&E platoon' of Canungra LWC (the jungle warfare training school for the Australian Army) had a dodgy reputation as a penal colony of retrobate NCOs who were made to "D&E" pretty much constantly in harsh conditions of the school for the busy schedule this training group had in the 80's .

I'll have to read further ; I am wondering if this was a D&E platoon attached somehow to, or comprised from the AATTV training camp just north of 'the horseshoe' feature in Phuoc Tuy province .? .... but would not have been actually part of the 1ATF .
jimmila
jimmila
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TailEndCharles Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:27 pm

jimmila wrote:If I may say; the standing 'D&E platoon' of Canungra LWC (the jungle warfare training school for the Australian Army) had a dodgy reputation as a penal colony of retrobate NCOs who were made to "D&E" pretty much constantly in harsh conditions of the school for the busy schedule this training group had in the 80's .

And had a reputation for nightly supporting the Sargent's Mess until all hours before wandering home to the married quarters area on base were they mostly lived only to be on parade next morning at 0600 bright eyed and bushy tailed! Very Happy

TEC

TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down