Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a Catch

3 posters

Go down

What a Catch Empty What a Catch

Post by TailEndCharles Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:00 pm

What a Catch 19912810

Phuoc Tuy Province, 29 August 1970. On Day 1 of Operation Massey Harris, an M113A1 Armoured Personel Carrier (APC) named “The Nympho” of ‘B’ Squadron 3rd Cavalry Regiment, struck a large enemy Anti-Tank mine. The blast lifted the APC 2.5 metres and dropped it onto the rear of a Centurion Dozer Tank of, ‘A’ Squadron, 1st Armoured Regiment. The blast killed one South Vietnamese Scout aboard the APC, wounded 14 Australians and one New Zealander. The casualties could have been far worse, if it hadn’t been fitted with belly armour and sponson reinforcing.

TEC

What a Catch 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

What a Catch Empty Re: What a Catch

Post by thomastmcc Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 am

wow very lucky..
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:27 am

That turret is really interesting too. Looks like they removed the .50cal, it kept the .30 cal and added a 2nd .30cal. on the roof. I would like to know the story behind those decisions.

What a Catch 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TailEndCharles Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Darby wrote:That turret is really interesting too.  Looks like they removed the .50cal, it kept the .30 cal and added a 2nd .30cal. on the roof.  I would like to know the story behind those decisions.

Darby,

With the Cadillac Gage T50 turret the Aussies regular swapped out the 50 and replaced it with a 30 as the struggled with space within the cupola. It also made it easier with ammunition requirements and storage.

TEC

What a Catch 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: