Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3D printed CH34 s

3 posters

Go down

3D printed CH34 s  Empty 3D printed CH34 s

Post by jimmila Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:25 am

Hi all .

I got some 1/100 CH34s finished as a commission job ;

3D printed CH34 s  Ch34_f10

I print on a bog-standard anycubic photon ; so the cleaning off supports and curing is the tricky part , then cleaning up details and drilling in and supergluing iron clout nails to be an attachment point for rotor discs affixed by magnets. Then an undercoat with a spray rattlecan.

I am keen to see how these hold up as gaming pieces .
jimmila
jimmila
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

3D printed CH34 s  Empty Re: 3D printed CH34 s

Post by BravoSix Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:23 am

They look great jimmi! You should hit TailEndCharles up to get some rotor discs for those. Are those Peter Pig gunners? 3D printed CH34 s  3667010091

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmila Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi B6 ,

Yes ; the perspex rotors from Battlefield accessories were a game changer for this project .
A wargamer friend designed the CH34 model as a project to get himself into 3D designing (he has a keen interest in SOG so it was a no brainer maybe) and voila came up with this well thought out model for the Anycubic Photon really quickly . I tried it out (it was one of the main reasons I bought a printer back in 2019 ) but found that the tail rotor and main rotors were a bit too fragile to be used as a 'game piece' . ... so when TEC got the rotors happening down there in Victoria it solved these problems .
My first trials with using the perspex rotors were a failure ; I used cylindrical magnets glued to the model to mount the discs but found that the magnetic force pulled harder than the superglue held it, and the magnets came off . Also ; adding the main disc to the top of the model changed the centre of gravity considerably ; so first attempts at mounting this on a flight stand were fraught with peril .
My solution was to use (ie; drill-in and glue ) these iron 'clout nails' (used for plasterboard ) which held into the model and allowed the use of a smaller magnet . The iron in the nail allows for a fairly robust attatchment to the sort of magnet you might find in a Battlefront flight stand , or (even better) the flightstands I prefer from Dave at 'Armaments in Miniature' which has a larger magnet and therefore a heftier support . The nails do detract from the model a little but make it a far more robust 'playing piece' that won't topple off the magnetic flightstand .

The doorgunners are Flashpoint pieces ; they are slightly smaller than the ones I prefer (I now have three different doorgunner figures) .. but since this model is in accurate '1/100' scale, the smaller doorgunners work the best .

all the same ; (what's really important) this mate now has four choctaws for his early war Marines . I have two for my own SOG insertions (need to add the doorgunners) I now have figured out how to do this and can get the parts (although the yellow quad rotors are out of stock atm)

...winner winner chicken dinner !

If you are on the search for perspex rotors here's the place ;

https://www.battlefieldaccessories.com.au/products/helicopter-rotor-blades-14cm?variant=39350919069762
jimmila
jimmila
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thomastmcc Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:34 am

they look good prints mate..
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member