Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review

3 posters

Go down

Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review Empty Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review

Post by OTB Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:01 am

Play test review of the no-dice rules by John Lambshead:

https://wargamesgazette.com/2020/02/24/one-hour-skirmish-wargames-in-vietnam/

I have decided to give these rules a go as I like the idea of not using dice. I think though that you need to have the option to reshuffle your deck mid-game in order to avoid card counting and avoid having lop-sided outcomes due to drawing good cards at the start of the game...

A quick search on-line has revealed that Communist Vietnamese, ARVN and AirCav sets of playing cards are available on-line. Cool

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review Empty Re: Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review

Post by Darby Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:20 am

Let us know how cover and stuff works, as that review I read seemed very bare bones and flavorless.

Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review Empty Re: Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review

Post by OTB Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:32 am

The rules arrived today. I have also just ordered myself some appropriate playing cards for the game via Zazzle:

Vietnam One-Hour Skirmish Game Review Playin10

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomrommel1 Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:21 am

Let us hear what you think. I myself have moved on to the BOHICA rules from Empress
Tomrommel1

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:44 pm

I received these rules and have now read them. They are not very clearly organised - he has broken up the rules across historical periods and you have to go flicking through the book to find out what characteristics various weapons have. It doesn't help that various WWII weapons are in the inter-war section, and that some of the modern weapons could even fall into that section too.  The rules have a quite generic feel to them, and to find out info on RPGs, AK-47s etc. you actually have to look at the scenario for 1980s Afghanistan. A couple of pages at the back with some weapons/vehicles summary tables would have been helpful. The turns structure is very ordered and not free-form enough for my liking, and the idea of the game suddenly ending when you pull out a joker seems pointless if you are playing a small scenario with a limited number of pieces.

Having read the rules, I think the only concept I like is the use of cards instead of dice, so I have run with that and quickly written my own set of rules that, so far, cover infantry and vehicles. I will play test them and report back.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down