Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .

5 posters

Go down

Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  Empty Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .

Post by BrianW Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:00 pm

Many of you from the old FOF might remember the 15mm bars I made out of paper buildings from Normandy.  If you don't, here's a picture of them:
Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  3_old_11

There was supposed to be a fourth one in the group.  Partially finished, it has set on my painting desk for the several years that I went away from Vietnam and focused on my sailing ships.  I decided to finish it as a way of starting to get back "in-country," as it were.  The original plan was to put an interior in it like the Texas bar in the photo.  However, I didn't want to do all that work for something that really can't be seen anyway (I mean, see the above photo).  I decided to try something a little different, so modelled the building with one of the sliding doors closed and one partially open.  I thought that it might give the impression of an interior without having to, you know, do all the work. tongue

Originally there were two windows on the second floor, but I took one of them out using GIMP before it was printed.  The original plan was to put a door there, suggesting that the "balcony" section behind the sign was real.  I decided against that, because the area is barely large enough to fit a Peter Pig 15mm figure in there.  Rather than fire up the printer again, I decided to take the approach any slumlord would:  Just block the area off with whatever is available.  That's how I wound up with this:
Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  New_ba10
Yes, the balcony area is a little crooked, but that will be hidden once the front is in place.  A bit more plastic sheet, some HO scale corrugated tin for the awning, and some plastic rod later and the building itself is finished:
Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  New_ba11

It's not DONE, done of course.  I still need to weather the building and decide what sign to use.  Originally, I had planned to keep each of these as a separate structure so that they could be put anywhere.  Instead, I think I'm going to mount them on a sidewalk/city block base with no space in between them.  My inspiration is the "Street of Bars" pictures from Vung Tau, 1967 and '68.
Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  Street10
(For some reason it won't let me upload the 1968 photo, but I think the one above will give an idea. And yes, I admit it is a loose interpretation.  Rolling Eyes
BWW
BrianW
BrianW
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  Empty Re: Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .

Post by OTB Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:50 pm

Looks good - don't worry about wonky balconies etc. - Vietnamese buildings from that era have a ramshackle look about them.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  Empty Re: Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .

Post by BrianW Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:58 pm

Yeah, when I looked at my prototype photos I've collected from the web, my first thought was NOT, "Those look like they were built with great respect for building codes."

The plan is to build up a few city blocks for use in urban scenarios, or to serve as the main town in a campaign game. At some point, I will get out my other buildings and photograph them as well.

I'm lucky to be here, with someone I like
Who maketh my spirit to shine.
-- Warren Zevon
BrianW
BrianW
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:49 am

Looks fantastic Brian. Glad to have you back!

Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianW Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:45 pm

Thanks Darby, it's nice to be back. As an aside, I'm planning on some posts that deal directly with your sig line. . . .

-- Warren Zevon
BrianW
BrianW
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:59 pm

Looks great Brian!

Darby wrote:Glad to have you back!

Ditto! Nice to have you back! Expanding my Asian Real Estate Holdings . . .  3360732692

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianW Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:03 pm

Thanks gents. There won't be any actual gaming until I get the garage (and hence, my game table out there) cleaned off. The running joke has always been that in the summertime, all we can play are either Vietnam or Western Desert WWII!

-- Warren Zevon
BrianW
BrianW
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thomastmcc Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:41 am

cool stuff
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down