Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)

4 posters

Go down

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   Empty Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)

Post by jimmila Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:21 am

I have been researching information about "Electronic Warfare" as it applies to Vietnam gaming .

I have found this great source of information about how the Australian experience in Vietnam with ARDF developed .

Once you get into this ; there was a fair degree of 'Electronic Warfare' in Vietnam, the VC and NVA were no slouches at this .

here is an official report (not too long , and not too technical )

http://www.pronto.au104.org/547Sigs/547Sigs_The-Story_Ver2/547-2_ANNEX%20I_Australian%20ARDF.pdf

and an Aussie veterans website

http://www.pronto.au104.org/547Sigs/547Sigs.html

look at Annex H for the USA experience .

I find this interesting big picture stuff. If you are into the basic sciences ; it is ingenious how they invented some of the gear and techniques in the field to get very workable results . ..on both sides .

This might be useful for Operational-level wargaming or scenario development .

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   Porter11

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   Porter10

gratuitous pics of Pilatus Porters .

enjoy

Jimmi

jimmila
jimmila
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   Empty Re: Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)

Post by OTB Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:14 am

"The Americans had similar aircraft, usually Otters (later
U-8s and RU-21s), however the Yanks seemed to neglect one essential factor -
the VC had eyes. The Otters especially bristled with antennas and one didn't
have to be a Rhodes scholar to realise what wasn't going on when one of those
clattering porcupines was around.
The Australian equipment on the other hand was crammed into the Cessna
without major alterations to the aircraft's external appearance. The only feature
marking 161's 'Shush' bird from the flight's other recon 180s, was a small dome
housing the RDF antenna beneath the fuselage aft of the wheel struts. To the
uninitiated it looked like a spare tyre. If anyone asked, that's what they were told.
No one (to my knowledge) ever asked why a spare tyre was needed ... " Laughing

Great stuff - I'll have to work my way through this... Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   2340259300

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   Empty Re: Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)

Post by jimmila Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:10 am

" To the uninitiated it looked like a spare tyre. If anyone asked, that's what they were told.
No one (to my knowledge) ever asked why a spare tyre was needed ... "

Laughing
jimmila
jimmila
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 am

Very cool Jimmi.  I did Electronic Warfare when I was in the Army, so it should be an interesting read for me.  I worked in voice intercept and signals intelligence.  When I went into the reserves I had to do my 2 weeks at Fort Stewart.  One day I got to ride in a Huey from an Air Guard unit that had voice intercept equipment, they wanted us to test out.  One of the other guys did it... I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sit on the door!!  Both of the pilots said they had served in Vietnam and were just there just to keep flying (looked old enough to me... but everyone over 28 looks old when you are 22).  One of our guys dared them that they couldn't make us throw up.  Once we finished the testing they took up the offer... BEST RIDE OF MY LIFE.

-Rod

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   7zgz5aA
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:16 am

In the US Army the unit was called Army Security Agency. When I first saw it, I thought they guarded the motor pools or something like that. It was a very small group, relatively speaking. What is surprising is that I have met four guys ho were in this in Vietnam.

Two I met at the HMGS eastern wargames conventions. I had read a book on the subject and saw they had baseball caps with the unit on them. Yuo had to have a very high IQ to get in the unit. The training was at Fort Devons. MA.

The third guy I met a a birthday party for one of my wife's friends, The fourth I met at a Vietnamese restaurant I frequent.

I was so surprised to meet four of these guys when there were so few of them. I met all of them after reading the book on the US ASA or noe of it would have meant anything to me.

Besides aircraft, the US had lots of ground radio intercept activities. I forget the details. but one was at a Special Forces camp where there was a horrendous fight when the NVA attacked.

So I guess they did more than pull guard duty at the motor pool.

Tom

Airborne Radio Direction Finding (ARDF)   7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down