Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Airbrush Question-Paint

4 posters

Go down

Another Airbrush Question-Paint Empty Another Airbrush Question-Paint

Post by BadMoon Sun May 02, 2021 10:37 am

Back in the days of yore, when I was using an Airbrush, I primarily modeled 1/35th scale armor. At that time I used enamels in my Airbrush, sometimes straight from the bottle, sometimes thinned if needed. In those days I rarely if ever used Acrylic paints for anything. Over the years I have lost interest in hideously complicated large scale models, and today mostly do 15mm and 20mm figures, with some vehicles as needed. I have worked my way over time from expensive "name brand" acrylics to much less expensive "craft" type acrylics sold in somewhat larger quantities.

Can acrylic paint be used in airbrushes?
Do you have to purchase some expensive for "airbrush only" acrylics or can you use craft type acrylics sold in Hobby Lobby, Michael's and the like?

I ask, because it's sorta important to me to be able to use exactly the same color paint either applied by brush or delivered by Airbrush.

Thanks,

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Another Airbrush Question-Paint Empty Re: Another Airbrush Question-Paint

Post by thomastmcc Sun May 02, 2021 12:34 pm

yes acrylics can be used but they can and may need watered down before and during use .. i use tamiya and lifecolor paints some vallejo too .. as long as its shaken well and the airbrush well cleaned afterwords..
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Mon May 03, 2021 8:24 am

I prefer using acrylics in an airbrush to enamels. Cleanup is sooo much easier and less fumes. You can use regular miniature acrylics if you don't want to buy airbrush formula ones, but a flow improver works better than water for thinning.

Avoid using basic "craft" type acrylics (like you get from Hobbylobby) as they are often so thick that trying to get them to flow usually results in the paint not stocking to the model.

Another Airbrush Question-Paint 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon May 03, 2021 8:42 am

Paul, did you end up getting a decent airbrush? I ask because I have an expensive one someone lent me 12 years ago, then promptly moved out of the country and I haven't heard from him since. And I'll never use it. Another Airbrush Question-Paint 2340259300

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BadMoon Mon May 03, 2021 1:20 pm

Todd,
I am still thinking about getting one, but haven't made a decision. My compressor died sometime years ago, so I'd be starting from scratch. Have yet to figure my ROI of various options.

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon May 03, 2021 3:10 pm

Let me see if I can dig up the airbrush I have. I think it's a Badger. If I find it, I'll PM you some pics.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down