Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards

2 posters

Go down

Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards Empty Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards

Post by OTB Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:18 am

This one is titled "Shut Up And Return Fire" and opens with the words "As the SEALs inserted into a rice paddy..." Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtBPYO3euHA&t=14042s

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards Empty Re: Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards

Post by Garryowen Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:45 am

I haven't seen this one yet, but will note it. My wife (of all surprises) and I have been watching all of the SOG related podcasts that Jocko Willink has done interviewing John Stryker Meyer or interviewing other SOG veterans with Meyer being present. All great.

Tom

Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards Empty Re: Jocko Willink interviews Admiral Thomas "The Hulk" Richards

Post by OTB Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:46 pm

I really enjoyed watching those. What gave me a real thrill was finding out that John Stryker Myer was a rabble-rousing student newspaper editor after he came back from S-E Asia. As a student newspaper editor, I stirred things up too - I wasn't invited back for the student association centenary celebrations etc. So at least we have one thing in common. Cool

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:08 am

I was really surprised that Tilt said he had not cut his hair in a year and dressed the way he did for a job interview. He must have looked like a hippie. Between Jocko’s interviews of and with Tilt, and Tilt’s own SOG Cast series, he had no use for their naive and/or evil anti-military views. I can’t understand why he would want to wear their “uniform.”

Tom
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:51 pm

Interesting point - I was just a kid in those days, but my memory, growing up near a campus, is that you sort of had to have long hair to fit in in the early '70s.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:51 pm

I graduated from undergraduate in 1967. Things were pretty sane yet there at that time. No one was protesting ROTC or anything else I was aware of. But then I was not living on campus. I lived at home. In those olden days, before the ridiculous idea of student loans, tuition costs were very reasonable, even at many or most private colleges and universities. Living expenses were the problem.

How different to day.

I was in law school from Fall of 67 until Spring of 70. The law school was in the corner of the campus, almost separate and apart. In those days, most male law school students (all but two of my class were male) usually wore suits or sport coats with ties to class!!! But I did see hippie looking kids in the rest of the university. The hippies took over the university in the spring of '70 and classes were cancelled. We got a grade of satisfactory for each class.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:28 pm

Garryowen wrote:
I was in law school from Fall of 67 until Spring of 70. The law school was in the corner of the campus, almost separate and apart. In those days, most male law school students (all but two of my class were male) usually wore suits or sport coats with ties to class!!!  But I did see hippie looking kids in the rest of the university. The hippies took over the university in the spring of '70 and classes were cancelled. We got a grade of satisfactory for each class.

Tom

Suits or sport coats with ties! Wow - tell me at least that they had loud ties and brightly coloured suits Laughing

It was probably the same with the law students in Christchurch, where I grew up - I wasn't actually on campus at the time, but I did live nearby. The hippie movement was very active in Christchurch, so there were a lot of long-haired students. Christchurch was also the home of the PYM (Progressive Youth Movement) - loosely put, the NZ equivalent of the Weather Underground. They conducted the usual marches and disrupted ANZAC Day services, in addition to fire-bombing the US Information Office in Christchurch on two occasions, for which some of them went to prison.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:23 am

Wow. You had some rough customers!

Thinking more, I believe we did have one guy in our class who was mildly hippie in his appearance. Most of those guys ended up in the public defender's office.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum