Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi

2 posters

Go down

Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi Empty Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi

Post by OTB Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:35 am

Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi B52mus10

A good article on the museum of the air war over Hanoi, complete with great photos of that classic of Communist museography; the blinky lights diorama:

https://saigoneer.com/in-plain-sight/25406-b52-victory-museum-how-a-wartime-plane-carcass-becomes-a-museum-and-community-hangout

Last edited by OTB on Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi Empty Re: Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi

Post by OTB Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:38 am

P.S. There is a photo of Phạm Tuân in the cockpit of his MiG-21; in 1980 he became the first Asian to go into space as a cosmonaut on the Soyuz 37 mission.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi Empty Re: Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi

Post by Darby Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:07 am

That's pretty neat, especially the table display. They do seem to love their propagandizing, even 50 years later. I wonder if the person who developed the museum and light-up display was personally affected to lived through the bombing?
It's odd to think that if Nixon had kept Linebacker II going for just 1 more week the ending of the war would probably have been very much different.

Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:12 am

Undoubtedly - the whole of Hanoi was affected. When I was last there, I lived in a 1960s-era downtown apartment that had a bomb shelter; it was a crawl space in-between the shower and the toilet. Heaven help you if a bomb or wreckage landed on that one-storey building.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:49 am

I believe you mean it came with a tomb! Might stop shrapnel but anything else and that for sure was your final resting place.

Tour of the B-52 Victory Museum Hanoi 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:51 pm

That was a crazy apartment - the shower room door came off its hinges on day 1, so I had to go through the toilet and crouch down to get through the bomb shelter crawl space whenever I wanted to have a shower. I got trapped in my apartment on the first day because they were laying cement in the alleyway. I had 3 gangsters living across the alleyway from me, a peeping Tom, an upstairs neighbour who was flooding my courtyard with his sprinkler system, and the old Commie alley committee chairwoman who kept giving me the stink eye when I said hello to her in Vietnamese. I couldn't decide whether she was a sniper in the war or whether she was an AA gunner; she sure hated me. And there was a big sign at the alley entrance saying that the district committee was resolute in its struggle against firearms, knives and explosives. When I told my friends back in Saigon, they didn't believe me until I showed them the photos.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down