Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions

2 posters

Go down

Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions Empty Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions

Post by irishserb Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:29 am

Some years back, I read "Riverine: A Brown Water Sailor in the Delta, 1967" by Don Sheppard, which tells of his experience as commander of Division 51, TF 116 on the Bassac in 1967. I thought it was an outstanding book, easy to read, with a direct and accessable writing style, and a tremendous inspiration for gaming.

Over the years, I've found a fair number of particularly critical reviews of the book, ranging from "un-readable" to "boring", and "self-serving". I've also found some discussion on a couple of forums suggesting that Sheppard was an overt opportunist, never was in the field, and exploited photo-ops at every turn. On the flip side, I've read stuff from guys who served with him qualifying him as being an outstanding human beng, model officer and soldier/sailor, and as someone who changed the lives of those around him for the better. I figure everyone has their pros and cons, but I am surprised at the frequency of the polar extremes in the comments and testimony about him. I've also not been able to "qualify" in any meaningful way, much of the comments about him either way.

I have long intended to put together campaign built around his book, but having read that his account is not truthful, I am hestant to use it, if other sources might be more genuine. I know it doesn't matter in the general sense of running games, but having the question planted in my mind, it takes some of the steam out of the project for me; plus, I'm just curious about the issue, as I appreciated his book so much.

I've been pondering this forsome time, and having failed to validte the integrity of any of the comments, thought that I'd ask here if anyone is familiar with the above, and whether they have any reliable/documented/substantiated information about him or his book, either way.

Thanks,
irisherb

irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions Empty Re: Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions

Post by Darby Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:48 am

I read that book many moons ago, but know nothing of the opposing opinions. You can imagine all of the reasons people would have for their views, and some of them might include not having any actual real experience with the dude, the unit, or even the war itself.

There's a report out there on Riverine operations (I know they Texas Tech has it available online) that you may be able to use to reconcile his takes on operations. Or, on the other hand, you can always think of it as a work of fiction that has some good bones to it that you can use to create a campaign or scenarios from if that helps.

Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions Empty Re: Riverine / Don Sheppard - Questions

Post by irishserb Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:49 am

Thanks Darby, I'll look into the Texas tech report.
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down