Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THW's FNG Questions

5 posters

Go down

THW's FNG Questions Empty THW's FNG Questions

Post by BravoSix Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm looking to get my hands on a copy of THW's FNG rules written by our very own Darby. I understand there's a couple of versions of this. One is called "Second Tour". Can anyone tell me which is the better/most complete edition?

Thanks in advance.

THW's FNG Questions 2780794290

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

THW's FNG Questions Empty Re: THW's FNG Questions

Post by FlyinSquirrel Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 pm

My favorite is FNG Second Tour, aka FNG2.  If you are someone who plays the rules exactly as written, then I think this set is the way to go.  Just my opinion of course, but it's my preferred version.

Part of THW "schtick" though is you really use the rules you want and toss what you don't like.  So making your own house rules to get the game you want is all part of the package.  This is how I prefer it.  I like to simply some things... because... too many charts.  But then I like to complicate others to get the flavor of Vietnam combat to what I've read.

-Rod

-Rod

THW's FNG Questions 7zgz5aA
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Thanks Rod. That's helpful. I do the same thing with rulesets. I never play all the rules the way they were written.

What is the "Tour of Duty" version and how does it differ from the rest?

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:07 pm

Tour of Duty I believe is FNG3.

-Rod

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by yankee sam Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:28 pm

BravoSix,

I have both FNG:2T and just got the new FNG Tour of Duty last Christmas. Tour of Duty has simplified a lot of the reaction rolls and can also be played as a boardgame. It parallels all the new THW game mechanics. Simpler, less rolls and faster.

BUT..for me it doesn't have the detail, RPG ability and period flavor of 2T. When I got that one a few years ago, I was stunned at the detail and how it brings role playing into the game. Both are designed for solo play. For me, I like the simplified mechanics of Tour of Duty, but love all the bells and whistles of 2T. I think it has more period flavor than the new version. One thing to consider, 2T does not cover vehicles like Darby's first edition, but the new version does.
Since I am playing solo, I find 2T a lot slower, but I have never had chance to play with someone who really knew the rules. If you are just buying one...I would say go with FNG Second Tour. There were new mechanics updates for THW's WW2 Nuts version, which could be used in conjunction with 2T. Without being more verbose, the two editions are completely different games. Hopefully, Darby can add to this.
This is just my limited experience. Hope that helped.

Sam
yankee sam
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 pm

Sam,

Thanks for the insight. I like the idea of an RPG feel as an old school RPG guy, I gravitate towards sets with that as an option.

It almost sounds like I need 2T for the detail and TOD for the vehicles!! THW's FNG Questions 823181642

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:46 am

Just to add to Sam's comments, it does make a good solo game. In addition, it makes a good co-op game. I'm tailoring my current set-up so that a couple of my buddies can each run a squad and I'll handle NVA/VC (in a GM like role). Then any additional assets that come into play they can split or take turns playing. Since most miniature games are oriented head-to-head I think it's fun for folks to occasionally get to work together to try to achieve an objective.

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 am

Seems a lot was covered above!
2T was a radical change from 1s Ed. It moved from a more squad oriented set of 2d6 rolls (which could be individual rolls) looking to "pass dice" below a figure's REP to rolling the #d6 per each figures REP score looking for 1,2,3s but also keeping passing 2d6 on certain tests. The objective was to make it feel more RPGlite by having each figure "do more". FOr instance, 1st ed In-Sigh roll for a squad with 3xREP 3, 3xREP 4 and 1x REP 5 rolls a 2 and a 4 on 2d6. Everyone passes 1d6, and the 4 and 5 pass 2d6 and you measure that VS the opponents In-sight to see which figures fire first. In 2T each figure on each side for the In-Sight test rolls 3d6, 4d6 or 5d6, You might end up with a REP 3 that gets 0 successes and another that gets 3 successes. You then start with the figure with the most success, regardless of which side is "active", and work your way down until each has acted/fired. You can have a situation where 4x REP 5s are going at it and then this little REP 3 guys blasts them all. Quite different mechanics, but designed for smaller games with better overall versatility and a great AI and campaign system. Also does not have it's own vehicle rules as there was another change to the THW core rules before the Busting Jungle supplement and campaign was completed. It is also why Got Them AirCav Blues was shelved (though completed).

ToD is more like 1st edition in premise but not detail. Really streamlined and designed for "fast play", with the battleboard "fastest play" option to boot. It also has the RPGlite element, but instead of it being on the battlefield it's more of a campaign thing that allows you to tell a story inbetween battles.

Personally, I mix and match depending upon how many people and how big of a game we are playing. I like detail and don't usually have to limit my games to a certain timeframe so can take things as slowly and crunchy as I'd like.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:30 am

Sorry Darby, forgot to thank you for weighing in here. Appreciate it.

THW's FNG Questions 424138817

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:00 am

Any time my dude. The game has gone through sooo many changes it can be hard for me to keep them straight (I mean, I rewrote the thing 7 times, even though only 3 have been released!!!!)

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Came across this pretty simple little video explaining some of THW's basic concepts. Perfect for a rules numpty like me. Of course, I still think I need to play the rules with someone who knows them quite well for me to really "get it".

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:40 am

BravoSix wrote: Of course, I still think I need to play the rules with someone who knows them quite well for me to really "get it".
I understand, I mean, I had to play with Ed before I was like "oooooh THW's FNG Questions 424138817 "

Sounds like I need to take a little trip to the Frozen North (well, the slightly-more-frozen-than-Seattle north that is... Laughing )

Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:15 am

Yes, I had the original versions of FNG and Nuts. I couldn't figure it out until I was at a Nuts game at a HMGS Great Lakes convention. As soon as it started and we went through the first In Sight test, it all became clear.

It was real funny at Fall In one year. Two guys did a Nuts scenario based on The Eagle Has Landed movie. They spent most of the game arguing between themselves about the rules. Not real encouraging. I knew no more about it after the game than I did before. Thank heavens for Rich Smethurst GMing the game mentioned above.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:25 am

Darby wrote:Sounds like I need to take a little trip to the Frozen North

Once this whole pandemic is over, let's make that a reality!! Would love to have you here!

THW's FNG Questions 2978865434

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:01 am

I can verify he is mostly house-broken.

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 am

Perfect! THW's FNG Questions 685395913

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:08 am

FlyinSquirrel wrote:I can verify he is mostly house-broken.
Ya, it's a real good thing you have some literboxes there... Laughing

Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am

There's also a front end load washing machine adjoining my suite in the laundry room. When all else fails.....

THW's FNG Questions 2340259300

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down