Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5

5 posters

Go down

Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5 Empty Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5

Post by Darby Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 am

Discovered an interesting paper quite by chance.  It concerns Project Sigma's recon missions into Warzone C in October of '66, and the loss of most of Recon Team 5.   Generally the teams actually had names for in-house use, my father's being RT Homer as at the time they were using "classic authors", but in most AARs are listed only by number.  Anyways, what is VERY interesting about this paper is that it contains info that came from a captured VC AAR document about how this VC unit (U-80 artillery) was able to track and destroy this recon team.  It was a bit of luck as well as good procedure on the VC part, and quite fascinating to read their actual procedures.  I only wish my dad was still around to discuss this operation as all I have now are his notes on his patrol in the AAR omnibus for this operation, but no inclusions.

https://www.ausa.org/sites/default/files/publications/LWP-118-Walks-in-the-Midst-of-Trouble-Allied-Patrols-in-War-Zone-C-October-1966_0.pdf

One thing I can add about the conclusion written in the original B-56 AAR on the operation.  I believe that the determination of "overconfidence" of the Americans on the team was not just due to the VN debrief but due to the knowledge of the men on the patrol.  My father said that they both worked well together because they had the same brashness and might have been more aggressive than most.  They were Sigma's first recon KIAs, the unit only having had 3 WIAs previously (one of which lives about 10 miles from me).

On a personal note, Sgt Walt Miller is mentioned by name in the paper.  He retired as a CSM and lives out in Palmer, Alaska.  He and my father were good friends and I've visited them up there (great fishing!).  Walt's brother Frank was also in SOG and was awarded the MOH after a particularly nasty mission In Laos in 1970, retiring also as a CSM.  He wrote a book about his experiences which has that typical dashing flair.  I believe he died in 2000 or so.

I will take a look tonight at the omnibus and see what notes pops has.

Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5 Empty Re: Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5

Post by BravoSix Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Oh man, that's very cool Darby. Thanks for sharing. Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5 685395913

And I heard there's good fishing up there Alaska way.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5 Empty Re: Operation Fondulac: the killing of Team 5

Post by OTB Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Good insightful information. Just an idea for B6 - how about having a thread for pdfs like this in the books part of the Intel section?

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmila Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:08 pm

wow Darby ! , this looks excellent . I will read this .
jimmila
jimmila
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:07 am

Found the notes:
My dad's team was the one that was extracted due to the coughing Cambodians. His note says "2nd patrol with this team as 0-1, previous as radio. One man kept coughing, syrup did not help. On RTB, all tested for TB."

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Great stuff Darby. Thanks for posting it. Yes, it sure would have been good if you could have discussed it with your dad. But you found his notes.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down