Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson

3 posters

Go down

Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson Empty Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson

Post by Darby Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:28 am

Chasing Romer: The Jungle War
By PJ Jorgenson

Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson 51mQ1k+cbyL

From Amazon:
By 1971 the U.S. had dramatically reduced its troop strength in Vietnam, but for those left still fighting the jungle war, 'boots on the ground' intelligence was sorely needed in order to survive.

Enter R Company-75th Infantry Ranger, ROMEO COMPANY, a newly formed operational unit of 'Lurps'- the five-man Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol teams boldly going deep into enemy held territory to gather that crucial intelligence.

Meet some of those young men who carried out those dangerous tasks and others in the safer and more comfortable rear areas who'd come to appreciate the harrowing jobs they performed.

Think you know the Vietnam War? Come see another side that will open your eyes to the fight and put you smack dab in the middle of the steaming jungles, watching a long line of heavily-armed enemy soldiers filing past you less than ten yards away, and praying they won't spot you.

Come meet a career combat officer stuck in a comfortable Public Affairs Liaison position who comes to see that 'friendly fire' and a career casualty of war can often come with an insincere smile in an air conditioned office.

CHASING ROMEO is an action-packed thriller with surprising heart and humor."

Now, I wouldn't go that far, but it is decent. There were no "oh shit" moments for me, nor any angst.  It's an easy read without any surprises and touches on all of the tropes: career frontliner SF type having to deal with self-important career REMFs, hardbitten NCO growling at butter bars, competent LURP team doing it's thing, stuffy officer type making bad decisions and being a wimp, etc., though no romance story arc (surprisingly).  There's nothing new here, but it's still a good way to pass a couple of hours.  I just wish it was a little more hardcore, as the author is a Vietnam vet and has written a few really good books.  Seems there could be some follow ups using the lurp team, but he doesn't seem to have made a series out of it.
It did make me look up info on VIPs injured or killed during the visits to the warzone , and to my surprise there's just about zero info out there other than on civilian MIAs (which have some interesting stories). If anyone has good google-fu, I'd be interested.

Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson Empty Re: Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson

Post by OTB Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:35 am

I thought that name was familiar: I have "LRRP Company Command" by him. I should add that to my next order on-line.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson Empty Re: Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson

Post by BravoSix Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:31 pm

How many stars? Chasing Romeo: The Jungle War by PJ Jorgenson 3190347021

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down