Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knives In The Night by David Sherman

4 posters

Go down

Knives In The Night by David Sherman Empty Knives In The Night by David Sherman

Post by OTB Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:09 pm

Knives In The Night by David Sherman Rotary16

Title: Knives In The Night
Author: David Sherman
Publisher: Ivy Books, New York, 1987
ISBN 0 8041 0001 2

Summary:
It's 1966, and CAP Tango Niner is faced with multiple problems: recruiting men to form the local Popular Forces platoon, countering the accusations being spread by a local official who appears to be working for the VC, and dealing with an elusive NVA platoon that has recently moved into its operations area.  

Thoughts:
This is the opening novel in the "Night Fighters" series and is an action-packed read. The author is a Marine who served in CAP units, so there is a fair amount of realistic detail here, with lots of small unit action involving ambushes. The character development is a bit uneven, with the "spear carriers" getting it in the neck very quickly, while various other characters have their backgrounds explained in separate chapters, which broke the flow of the narrative somewhat. This is a useful book for ideas for game scenarios, or maybe even a mini-campaign, as it has three maps in it, including a detailed one of Camp Apache, the CAP unit's base camp. There are 6 books in this series and I'll be buying them if I spot them.

Rating:   Knives In The Night by David Sherman 3322738404 Knives In The Night by David Sherman 3322738404 Knives In The Night by David Sherman 3322738404

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Knives In The Night by David Sherman Empty Re: Knives In The Night by David Sherman

Post by Darby Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:59 pm

I have the whole series. Much less melodrama than the VN:Ground Zero series. I quite enjoyed it and have indeed used some of the scenarios in these books. Hard to find!

Knives In The Night by David Sherman 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Knives In The Night by David Sherman Empty Re: Knives In The Night by David Sherman

Post by OTB Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:48 pm

Are all the books set in the same location?

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomrommel1 Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:07 am

Yes, they are. Very well written and I loved to read them all.
Tomrommel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:49 am

Met the dude that wrote them about 30 years ago, he's a good friend of a fella that was in my dads SF unit in the early 80's (who is also coincidentally a writer, though he did a lot of westerns under a pen name rather than experiential military fiction). Back then I didn't know what to ask, a real missed opportunity with hindsight.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:56 pm

It's wonderful you know these guys. Cool

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am

It's a small world. There was a guy I talked to that did 2 tours in CAPs and was in the process of writing a screen play about CAP which had been picked up and paid for by one of the Big 4, but he sadly passed before it could be finished. I'm pretty sure that project got halted, but I don't have anyone to contact about it. Sad Frankly, I think a Netflix or some such series based on a CAP would be an excellent idea.

Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm

I do too, so long as they keep the female journalists and the love-interest nurses out of it... Knives In The Night by David Sherman 2060822119

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon May 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Are we talking about that damn Danielle Steele novel again?? Knives In The Night by David Sherman 1516093544

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Mon May 10, 2021 5:53 pm

Laughing I was thinking more of the TV series Tour of Duty.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down