Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force

5 posters

Go down

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Empty Attack on RVN National Police Field Force

Post by Garryowen Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm

This is a game (20mm) I ran and played in at my house in April, 2019. An outpost of a platoon (they were quite small) of the National Police Field Force was attacked by local VC.

The setting was that the outpost was near a hamlet on a curve in the road with surrounding rice paddies and jungle.

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2523
Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2522
Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2524

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2527Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2525Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2526

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2529Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2530Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2528

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2533Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2532Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2531

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2510

Just before the attack:
Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img_2534

As soon as the attack started, the Police radioed for help. They soon realized that the local force VC were backed up by regular NVA. A small relief column of two ACAVs and an M-48. Besides the NVA attacking the outpost, there were NVA in ambush on the left side of the road. More NVA came up from the left side as well. The ambush was quite successful. The NVA ambush force on the left side of the road destroyed first one, then a second M-113 with RPG fire. The M-48 took a hit and was disabled, the surviving crew bailing out. It was not all one sided, as one of the M-113 ACAVs got some good fire into the NVA before it was destroyed.
The VC took a number of casualties. The bad guys chose to withdraw as they saw gunships approaching.

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2511
Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2513Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2512Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2514

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2515Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2517Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2516

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2518Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2519Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2610Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2611Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Img-2612

Unfortunately, between running and playing in the game, I failed to take as many photos as I should have, once the action started. Thus so many pre-battle photos. But it was a fun little game.

Tom

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Empty Re: Attack on RVN National Police Field Force

Post by Garryowen Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:24 pm

I played the game so long ago, only now did I notice at least one forgotten USSF guy in the outpost.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Empty Re: Attack on RVN National Police Field Force

Post by Garryowen Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:40 pm

As the National Police Field Force had rather different camouflage, I thought I would post photos of some of my figures. They are 20mm.

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Natl_p10

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Natl_p12

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 pm

Those are great figures Tom. They definitely stand out on the tabletop. I am toying with the idea of a Field Force unit using converted plastic figures.

Great game too - I love all the little terrain pieces. I notice the dead guy with a weapon stand: do your rules enable the VC to grab weapons?

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:58 am

Thanks for the compliments.
Yes, all figures can pick up and use dropped weapons. I have loose weapons for all LMGs, rocket launchers, bazookas, and LAWs. Except for my Britannia NVA AA HMG, I think all of the HMGs, RRs and other crew served weapons are already separate.

For a non-crewman to use any weapon not found in a squad, other than a medium or heavy MG, requires a die cast based on the figure’s quality rating.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:02 am

I forgot to add, when anyone hit has any special weapon, there is a die roll to see if the weapon is damaged. It is more likely with a blast weapon.

I was just reading yesterday in Marshall’s Battles in the Monsoon about an NVA HMG round going right through an 81mm mortar tube.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by irishserb Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:21 am

Wow, great looking game and figs! Thanks for sharing the pics.
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:03 am

Thanks for kind words. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomrommel1 Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:04 am

very nice indeed
Tomrommel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:15 am

Thanks, Tom

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Attack on RVN National Police Field Force Empty Vietnam rules

Post by indotoc Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:50 pm

Beautiful game! Love the terrain.
indotoc
indotoc

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:11 pm

Garryowen wrote:I forgot to add, when anyone hit has any special weapon, there is a die roll to see if the weapon is damaged. It is more likely with a blast weapon.

I was just reading yesterday in Marshall’s Battles in the Monsoon about an NVA HMG round going right through an 81mm mortar tube.

Tom

Surprised

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:23 pm

Thanks for the kind words, indotoc. I like to make terrain.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down