Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm

+7
Digger
Darby
FlyinSquirrel
uglyfatbloke
thomastmcc
BadMoon
BravoSix
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm Empty Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm

Post by BravoSix Thu May 14, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm reviving a thread I posted awhile ago at LAF. Thought I'd generate some good ideas from our knowledgeable membership at Fields of Fire.

I've been into 28mm Vietnam as long as I can remember, and one thing that bugged me was the limited selection of choppers in this scale. Italeri makes a great UH-1D kit, but model kits are fiddly and with added weight from pilot and gunner figures added, I've had a few involuntary tabletop crashes resulting in plastic kit damage.   Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 823181642   Force of Valor did a great diecast UH-1D but the run was soooo limited you had to be fast on the uptake. Now that these are OOP, they go for almost $200+ on eBay these days. Too rich for my blood.

I know Corgi makes some great looking UH-1B gunships (as uglyfatblokes' photos attest), but I'm really looking for slicks. The other option I was considering, diecast wise, is New Ray makes an LAPD and LAFD chopper in 1/48 but it's a UH-1N. I guess in a pinch it might do.

This may be a good jump off point for compiling a Vietnam Firebirds - 28mm list.

Last edited by BravoSix on Thu May 14, 2020 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm Empty Re: Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm

Post by BravoSix Thu May 14, 2020 4:11 pm

For other chopper options, I've seen a 1/48 Kiowa kit and a T-tail MH-500 that could be kitbashed to be a Loach.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm Empty Re: Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm

Post by BadMoon Thu May 14, 2020 8:34 pm

You could always go the 3d printed route... these are listed as 28mm or 1/56 scale

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 15lat011
Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 15lat111

They are from https://www.butlersprintedmodels.co.uk/
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Thu May 14, 2020 8:36 pm

I've seen some of Butler's work up close (through photos anyway) and it does look roughly printed and very layered. Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 3667010091

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BadMoon Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 pm

You options are limited as I see it, you could,
1.) Not play Airmobile, so no choppers would be needed.
2.) Skip having a chopper, it would only be on the ground 5 seconds, the games it really about the grunt's anyway.
3.) Switch to doing Airmobile in the one true scale (20mm) and use slightly less expensive diecasts.
4.) Build plastic choppers, leave off the fiddly bits, and invest in some really robust flight stands.
5.) As above but use the fiddly bits, but play with your toys nicely.
6.) Save your pennies and with some luck you'll win one on eBay someday.
7.) Ask Santa...
8.) Marry a rich widow, who will let you spend her money on all the toys you want because your such a stud in the bedroom.
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 2474585349 Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 2780794290

Option two rings pretty true. Especially on a small play surface.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thomastmcc Fri May 15, 2020 2:11 am

nah go 20mm !
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Fri May 15, 2020 2:30 am

Look for Corgis that are not MIB and therefore more favourably-priced and proxy for slicks until the fiddly rocket pods and twin M60s fall off...that's pretty much the story at our house. I have yet to tell SWMBO that a point will come when I will no longer glue them back on when they fall off. The 'box of rockets' variant is much more sturdy, but you can always just ignore them. To quote somebody else' We're playing a wargame, not making a documentary'
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 am

The slicks are always a great draw to the game, but sadly, unless you are doing a downed chopper scenario they won't stay on the table long.  It's always the dilemma.  Do all that work for a few seconds of Wow?

Kinda the same with fast movers. But the visual appeal is part of the draw.
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 am

With our rules the choppers can't enter and leave the table in the same turn. In my heart I know I've just made the rules that way for visual appeal.
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Fri May 15, 2020 9:53 am

I think there are plenty of scenarios that could keep helos on table for extended time.
For 28mm I think it would be possible to make the 1/48 models without a lot of the fiddly parts, and kitbash more stout rotor masts. You could even have plexi/plastic rotor sweeps made to look like they are in motion and just use a metal tube/pin for the mast.

If you don't want to do plastics and can't find diecast you may look want to go 3d printed. You also might have some friends that have decent resin 3d printers... *cough cough* (but be aware that 3d prints are sometimes just as fragile as plastic models).

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm

BadMoon wrote:You options are limited as I see it, you could,
2.) Skip having a chopper, it would only be on the ground 5 seconds, the games it really about the grunt's anyway.

That's how I've always played any sort of airmobile force. Although I do make an exception for 6mm where I'm playing a brigade+ a side, as the AA assets can have a significant impact on the tactical movement and deployment of airmobile assets.
Digger
Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks for the input guys. You're the best! Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 685395913

@uglyfatbloke: Are the Corgis able to be taken apart to mount pilots? Or does one just have to live with a remote control looking helicopter?

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Sat May 16, 2020 5:16 am

I'm pretty sure it could be done - there's a guy sells spare parts (including the entire hull/fuselage) on Ebay from time to time. I might consider giving it a shot if I were not so incompotent a modeller. The Cobras might be easier and def. the ones where it would make most difference.
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Fri May 22, 2020 5:57 am

I've decided to bite the bullet and just go with an Italeri UH-1 Iroquois kit and see how I fare. The local hobby shop has one in stock.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Fri May 22, 2020 6:08 am

I expect you'll make it perfectly - I would not......Fortunately Pat is well-provided with helicopters so I'm not going to have to!
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 am

Yeah mate, sounds like Pat has quite the inventory! Much to your chagrin. Wink

The Corgi UH-1Bs are nice, but I guess eBay is going through a downturn with selection these days. All that's available are VERY pricey!

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by uglyfatbloke Fri May 22, 2020 6:19 am

You have to keep an eye out for them, but they do come up from time to time. - mostly Cobras though.
uglyfatbloke
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm thinking of doing a "what if" option for Nam and sending one of these in to do the job....

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm ZaDTwZn

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 2060822119

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:53 pm

B6, I think as long a Murdock from the A-Team is flying it, then it will be legit.

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtraCrispy Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 pm

I frequently use air craft that are "under" scale. So 1/144 with 15mm, 3mm with 6mm. Can look wonky the one half turn they land and have troops next to them. But otherwise I actually like th look of forced perspective.

As for 3D which is really your best bet to get in scale models, nose around on Thingiverse and Shapeways. There are WAY better printers out there than what Butler is doing. If you can find the STL file you can find a better printer.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
aka The Mouse aka ScaleCreepMinis
ExtraCrispy
ExtraCrispy
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:49 pm

FlyinSquirrel wrote:B6, I think as long a Murdock from the A-Team is flying it, then it will be legit.

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 2474585349

I wouldn't have anyone else other than Mad Dog Murdock flying it. Ok, maybe Roy Schieder.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm

cheers

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Limited Options for Airmobile in 28mm 3360732692

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:28 am

I would take a Kingbee any time.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next