Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources?

5 posters

Go down

(Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources? Empty (Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources?

Post by irishserb Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:37 pm

I'm working on a batch of 1/72 scale aircraft and have some decals that just aren't happening. Some simply will not conform to the fuselage of my UH-1s after applying a half bottle of Micro Sol and whatnot. Anyway, I'm mainly looking for three things:

1. "United States Army" decals for a couple of UH-1Ds, and an OH-6A

2. Stars and bars for a couple of Skyriders.

and
3. Stars and bars, and "Marines" in white for a Ch-34D.

I used to have some old sets of Micro-Scale decals that were a sheet of stars, enough for several aircraft, and am hoping for something like that. Mostly what I'm finding is sets for a super detailed single aircraft for $14-28 a bird. I'd rather not spend more for the decals, than for the kit. especially since I'm only actually using 2 to 4 decals for many of the aircraft.

Anyway, hope that isn't too confusing, and any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

(Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources? Empty Re: (Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources?

Post by Mishima Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:02 am

you might find something here
https://i-94enterprises.com/products/decals-setting-solution/decal-scans/
i can't seem to find a price list though.

Tim from Gomi Designs.

(Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources? 7zgz5aA
Mishima
Mishima
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://www.gomidesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

(Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources? Empty Re: (Preferably Cheap or Basic) 1/72 Aircraft Decal Sources?

Post by Mishima Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:04 am

ah, sorry they are 1:285

Tim from Gomi Designs.

Mishima
Mishima
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:54 am

I am away right now. But hopefully sometime over the weekend I will have a chance to look. There used to be several good decal makers in 1/72 scale.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mishima Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:23 am

I did print a load for myself when i needed black only lettering and numbers for 3 A6 Intruders. I didn't want them to all have the same serial numbers.
That doesn't solve either white lettering, or the Stars and Bars issue, though

Tim from Gomi Designs.

Mishima
Mishima
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by irishserb Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:17 am

Thanks guys! I should be able to print the black decals. I even have decal paper on hand somewhere in the heap, just forgot all about it. Duh.

Back in the 80s-early 90s, when I worked at the hobby shop, we had boxes of decals, including sheets of German crosses, Sovet and US stars, etc. Sad to see that I can't even find most of those companies any more. I tried using some from an old sheet that I had, but it was just too old (probably 33 years), and they broke apart trying to remove them from the backing sheet.

It is interesting how things have changed. I've been away from the hobby side of scale models aircraft for some years now, so have been sort of lost trying to find decals. In general, these days I am continuously surprised at how much harder it is to find materials and supplies now, than it was 20 or 30 years ago. So much stuff has dissapeared.

Anyway, thanks, I appreciate the replies.
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:23 am

GarryOwen wrote:There used to be several good decal makers in 1/72 scale

I remember way back in the day, Britannia did a set for 20mm-ish helos which were quite nice.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:43 am

Those Britannia decals were for the 1st Cavalry Division. As Irishserb said old decals will break up when you try to use them. However, I have been able to get them off safely with one of those decal solutions. I have a note of what it is with my remaining Britannia decals.

Tom
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:55 am

A way of reviving old decals is to give them a light spray of matt varnish on their sheet - it holds the decal together.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mishima Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:10 am

Microsol people do a gel to paint on old decals.
I've used it with some success. Not ideal. Think its called liquid decal film or somesuch

Tim from Gomi Designs.

Mishima
Mishima
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mishima Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:12 am

irishserb wrote:Back in the 80s-early 90s, when I worked at the hobby shop, we had boxes of decals...

i remember our local shop used to have a box of random sheets, from broken boxes etc, really cheap. I picked a few up, but like you say, everything has gone these days.

Tim from Gomi Designs.

Mishima
Mishima
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:58 am

I just walked in the house from a four day trip. I have not even carried the luggage any further than the back door. But I just had to help my FOF buddies out to the best of my ability as soon as I could.

What I have used to restore all decals is Microscale Liquid Decal Film. To save old decals, the instructions are to apply a continuous coat with an artist brush to an old decal and allow 15 minutes drying time. Apply like a regular Microscale decal.

I remember that I have done this successfully. However, it would probably be a good idea to first try it on, hopefully, a decal on your sheet that you don’t really mind if you lose.

It is going to take me a little longer to look through what I have and my sources for something that may help Irishserb find something he needs.

Tom
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:24 pm

Irishserb, I just emailed you 1/72 decals for Hueys in the form of a Word document I created in 2010. They worked for me.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by irishserb Sun May 01, 2022 5:18 am

I ended up finding the CH-34 decals burried decades ago in the heap downstairs, and between the sheet that Tom sent and the decal solution to rescue the skyraider's stars, I think the kits are all covered.

My thansk Tom and everyone for the suggestions and help.

Brian
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down