Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlefront's Aircraft Re-sizing

4 posters

Go down

Battlefront's Aircraft Re-sizing Empty Battlefront's Aircraft Re-sizing

Post by BravoSix Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:48 pm

Ok this is probably a strange question, but recently I came across an article on Battlefront's site concerning flight stands, and they mention under "A Note About Scale" that all their WW2 aircraft are sized down to 1/44. So I have to ask...... does anyone know if they did the same thing with their Nam helicopters? I ask because I do have a box set of the Airmobile UH-1's and they DO look a bit smaller than the 1/100 kits in a box, that's I'm more used to. Battlefront's Aircraft Re-sizing 3667010091

Here's the article in question: https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3884

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Battlefront's Aircraft Re-sizing Empty Re: Battlefront's Aircraft Re-sizing

Post by Steders Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:20 am

Hello Todd
I can only talk about the Team yankee stuff as I own some of that and looked into it.
its all to do with the fact that the planes and helicopters are licenced kits from other manufacturers.
Planes tend to be in 1/144 so you can get much larger aircraft at a reasonable size (like the soviet TU 95 bear)
The helicopter kits are in 1/100 scale as they tend to be smaller in reality.
1/72 was dominant for years but there was a trend towards smaller kits of bigger planes as they take up less room when displayed
Scale modellers are quite obsessive about the different scales, I have a couple of friends into making kits and they are very anal about it.
I would guess the helicopters are 1/100 although I could be wrong as I haven't seen the hueys.

Steders
Steders
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:23 am

Steders! Glad to see you back in country! Thanks for looking into that. I only ask as the FOW Hueys I have are supposedly for Nam, but they also have the UH-1N nose for making Team Yankee Marine choppers. They LOOK small to my eye as do the door gunners, but most of the Team Yankee stuff appears very small to me.

That said, my other option is the 15mm UH-1D from 3D Breed's "March to Hell: Nam" which can be tweaked to taste. The only downside to the 3D print option is the file has barely any interior detail compared to the FOW choppers. No where for the gunners to sit.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TailEndCharles Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:35 pm

Todd,

"Aircraft" is a broad term in Flames of War/team Yankee.

Battlefront do declare their "fast movers" as 1:144 and as stated above mostly because they are 3rd party and that is a common scale for aircraft. BF spun that size as "they look smaller when in the air in real life so that works for the table top" and "when looking down from above the smaller aircraft on stands scale in to the figures and vehicles below".

Their helicopters are normally 1/100 like their figures and vehicles so when on the ground landed they work with everything else.

I just wish their vehicles were actually 1:100 but tat is another story! Sad

TEC

Battlefront's Aircraft Re-sizing 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:48 pm

Thanks for that Ken. And yeah..... their vehicles are a bit on the small-ish size hence why I sold my Blackhorse Cavalry box set and went with Flashpoint's ACAVs and a Sheridan by 3D Breed tweaked slightly size wise.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:30 am

How confusing! Crying or Very sad

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:19 pm

Yeah you 20mm guys don't have those scale creep problems to the large extent that 15mm guys do.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

OTB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down