Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2)

3 posters

Go down

The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2) Empty The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2)

Post by Goose666 Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 am

An interesting report on the action.. Part 1 of 2..
Funny how you hardly hear about the ambush at LZ-Albany. Hollywood left that part out of the movie!

Goose666
Goose666
FNG
FNG

OTB likes this post

Back to top Go down

The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2) Empty Re: The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2)

Post by OTB Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 pm

Yes, when I finally read the book, I was surprised to discover that the film only covers the first part of what happened.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2) Empty Re: The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2)

Post by Corisco Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:16 am

Not just Hollywood. The US Army at the time made a considerable effort to bury the story. It was embarrasing to the point that they didn't dare to sack McDade, who despite having made an enormous balls up of the affair, soldiered on in command of 2/7 Cavalry for another four months. I suppose they took into account his service in WW2 and Korea and that he was a decorated officer. Still, pretty much anyone else would have canned him on the spot.

I'm always amazed when looking at the US Army at the disparity of performance between units, as well as the lack of attention to really basic issues of soldiering, like tactical movement, providing security at the halt and on the move etc. An absence of skills and drills at the lowest levels cannot have helped.
Corisco
Corisco

OTB and Goose666 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down