Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA

+6
TailEndCharles
Tomrommel1
FlyinSquirrel
Garryowen
BravoSix
BadMoon
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Empty Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA

Post by BadMoon Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 pm

The Australian Army and the Republic of Korea Army both supplied forces to help out the Republic of Vietnam. Their contingents were small compared to those of the ARVN and the US Army, but each played an important part in the war.

Australia

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 13310510
The Aussies didn't seem to use the ACAV, but did equip their Buckets with shields for the M2 .50 cal.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 13265910
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA T503010
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA A2_7110
They also used M113's equiped with the T50 turret, armed with either twin .30 cals, or one .30 and one .50cal machine guns. Relocating one .30 cal. machine gun to the top of the turret seemed common.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 13267810
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 13260210
Sometimes they came up with some "unofficial prototypes" of their own.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 28704710
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 35455610
An Aussie Fitters Bucket.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 30215210
Aussie M106/M125

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 59776410
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 11260410
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Fsv0710
An Aussie M113 Fire Support Vehicle (FSV). Mate a 76mm low velocity gun in a turret from a Saladin Armored Car with a M113 and you get a mini tank like hybrid.

ROKA

Not much out there on the M113's used by the ROKA in Vietnam...

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 14586010
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 20408610
Pretty much standard ACAV's, second pic has a unique rear shield though. Nice artwork.

Tune in tomorrow for Pt 4-United States Army or Death rides a track!

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Empty Re: Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA

Post by BravoSix Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:18 pm

That tiger on the ROK M113 looks feirce! Charlie must have shat their drawers seeing those rumbling down the road. Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 2060822119

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Empty Re: Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA

Post by Garryowen Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Bad Moon, you have done a great job of research finding, studying and posting all these photos. A first class research project. Thanks very much for sharing your work with us.

cheers  Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 685395913  Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 2978865434

Tom

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Another great collection of pictures. Can't imagine having a huge logo on the front of a track like that last picture though...

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomrommel1 Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:48 am

thanks for the pictures
Tomrommel1

Back to top Go down

Post by TailEndCharles Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:49 am

This is one of my favourite Aussie vehicles from the VN War:

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Vghfgj10

M113 Mine Roller Flint aka Bukoo Boom Boom

TEC

TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:54 am

BadMoon wrote:They also used M113's equiped with the T50 turret, armed with either twin .30 cals, or one .30 and one .50cal machine guns. Relocating one .30 cal. machine gun to the top of the turret seemed common.
 One reason was that having 2 guns in the turret made them difficult to operate, especially the .50 which tended to jam a lot much like in the cupola of M-48s (where the .50 was mounted on it's side).  Also, vision inside the turret was poor.  Situational awareness is everything, so putting the gun up where the TC could see and shoot was the solution.

I also thignh I've seen that last ROK track before. IIRC that rear weapon is either a 57mm or a 75mm Recoilless rifle. As i recall there was an ROK weapons company that came over with them and they had TONs of ammo from the 50's for them and were basically just using them for everything to get rid of the stuff.
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:22 am

I like that Buckoo Boom Boom too.

If they were intending the first word to be phonetic for 'Beaucoup", I would have thought it would have been "Boocu."

Maybe Buckoo has a meaning I don't understand.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BadMoon Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:57 am

Darby wrote:I also thignh I've seen that last ROK track before. IIRC that rear weapon is either a 57mm or a 75mm Recoilless rifle.  As i recall there was an ROK weapons company that came over with them and they had TONs of ammo from the 50's for them and were basically just using them for everything to get rid of the stuff.

From what appears to be a cover/shroud over the weapon and the cut out in the shield, its larger in diameter than a M2 barrel, so it most likely NOT a M1919 or M60. I have often run across/heard/been told concerning memory was that the "First thing you think of has the highest percentage of being correct". When I first viewed that pic, I thought that the rear shield looked like those shielding side mounted flame throwers/guns on some model of the WW2 US LVT. I spent a couple of hours looking looking at pics of both ROK M113's and LVT's to support either idea. For now it's a mystery that will require additional research. The wonderful thing(gaming wise) about M113's in Vietnam is that so many variations existed, you can plausibility make a case for just about anything.

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:53 am

Ya know... might also be a minigun. Trying to ferret out the pix I saw of the RR but no luck yet.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TailEndCharles Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Garryowen wrote:I like that Buckoo Boom Boom too.

If they were intending the first word to be phonetic for 'Beaucoup", I would have thought it would have been "Boocu."

Tom

Tom,

I believe it was a little "pigeon English" based on some Vietnamese saying's in English and Buckoo meant "BIG"

TEC

TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:39 pm

More ROK M113 pics:

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rokm1110

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rokm1111

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rokm1112
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:41 pm

More ROK M113s (continued):

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rokm1113

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rokm1114

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rokm1115
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:43 pm

And I used this photo as the inspiration for my platoon's worth of ROK tracks (5 in total):

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rok_m110

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Rok_m111
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 pm

And here's a rarity (the only photo of one I've come across) - a Philippines M113:

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA Philip11
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Garryowen wrote:I like that Buckoo Boom Boom too.

Tom

It's just the Aussie spelling. Very Happy
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 pm

That explains it.

How did you do your ROK insignia on your tracks?

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 am

Tom, I just printed out the insignia on some thin glossy paper.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:44 am

Wayne, I guess you found the insignia itself on the internet.

I was actually crazy enough to do shoulder patches for ARVN airborne, marines and rangers that way for 20mm figures. In a game, absolutely no one ever notices them unless I point them out.

I admit I am nuts Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 709157453 , but I have fun.

Tom

Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:49 am

Garryowen wrote:I was actually crazy enough to do shoulder patches for ARVN airborne, marines and rangers that way for 20mm figures. In a game, absolutely no one ever notices them unless I point them out.

I admit I am nuts Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 709157453 , but I have fun.

I think that's awesome though! Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 2978865434

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:46 am

GarryOwen wrote:I admit I am nuts Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 709157453 but I have fun.

That's important. And we love ya anyway. Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 3-Austrailia and ROKA 3360732692

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:30 am

Philippine M113, LOVE IT!!! I have NEVER seen a photo of one before, brilliant work.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by John previously FoA Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:53 pm

Just catching up and wow, wot a great thread. Love it. The Aussie mortar carrier is M125. They didn't have any M106. And IIRC they didn't have an integral 81 mortar, if used in the fire support role they would mount a barrel and crew from the Infantry Battalion they were supporting. The vehicle had two man crew and would be used for patrolling in same way M113A1 were
John previously FoA
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by John previously FoA Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:59 pm

[quote="BadMoon"]
Darby wrote:.... The wonderful thing(gaming wise) about M113's in Vietnam is that so many variations existed, you can plausibility make a case for just about anything.

-BadMoon

Agree one hundred percent. The same statement applies to vehicles as to clothing in combat zones (or indeed anywhere).

Uniform isn't.

Great work.
John previously FoA
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:20 pm

When I first came to this today, I couldn’t figure out something from 2020. I had forgotten this thread myself. Until I got down fairly far and saw my replies, I didn’t think I had ever seen it.

It goes without saying that the photos from the war that are posted here are great. But my face really lit up when I saw OTB’s 1/72 models of the Korean M-113s. It is very difficult to come up with any vehicle, aircraft, or weapon that was in the war that OTB doesn’t already have in platoon strength (at least) in 1/72 scale.

It is really nice to see someone looking back at the old threads on this website. I remember on the old version of FoF which, of course, had many more threads just because of its longer history, I tried to encourage new members to go back and look at all of the gems that had been posted over the years.

Even with the shorter history of our current FoF, there are lots of neat things in the past.

Tom
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next