Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army

+2
BravoSix
BadMoon
6 posters

Go down

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Empty Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army

Post by BadMoon Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:15 am

After some technical difficulties lets try this again....

Recoilless Rifles

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 370b1b12
Fairly well known photo taken in Saigon during the Tet Offensive. Connie, The Pink Pussy Cat. The M2 has been repositioned to the rear hatch and what appears to be a M20, 75mm Recoilless Rifle has been mounted in the TC's Weapon Station. A tight fit to be sure...
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 32138712
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 35202612

Grenade Launcher(s)

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 29330612
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 90449412

Mine Roller

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Minero15
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Minero14
The X designation on the front fender might indicate this is an "experimental" design undergoing field trials, or it might mean the track belonged to the 10th ACR. The movie camera in the second picture may be a clue. Neat bit of kit anyway...

Oddities

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Golszu11
A M132 Zippo serving as an ersatz LCM Monitor (Flame).

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army A_4_611
An added search light to TC's gun tub. Would that make this a M113 CDL??

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 86446311
Ever wonder what happened to those weapon systems from scraped Huey's?

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 71130210
Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 47199312
In the first photo you have a standard M132 Zippo, notice how the hatch folds backwards? The next photo shows a M132 Zippo with a M2 in the tail gunner position, not possible normally in a standard M132 Zippo. This track has either had the rear hatch removed (seems very unwise) or is built on a M106/M125 hull. Some additional research is needed..

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 39610111
A M113 BSDV (Back Seat Driver Version).

Machine Guns

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 277b8d12
These guys seem to have set up housekeeping and aren't planning on moving any time soon.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 45472812
A M60 where the TC's M2 is normally located. There are two cans of belt linked 40mm grenade ammo on the top deck. Perhaps the GL has been removed for maintenance? The seemingly oversized TC's guntub might be another clue...

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 73219412
Twin M60's in the rear gunners hatch/position.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 32577612
A M1919 and a M2 in the TC's gun tub. May have to model this one....

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Blogge13
A M2 in the rear gunners hatch/position. A deuce trumps a 60 anyday...

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Pvlhw611
A pair of M2's in the rear hatch/gunners positions. Hard to tell much else...

Now on to the GOOD STUFF!

MINIGUNS!!!!
Sorry about that, too much sugar in my coffee this a.m., I guess...

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 48248110
This is my Minigun, there are many like it but this one is MINE!

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Blogge14
M2 in the rear gunners hatch/position, Minigun in the TC's weapon station, and a M60 mounted in front of the driver. These guys are ready for some really serious shit.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 34392910
A Minigun in the TC's position, and the side M60's on some lengthened mounts.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 71625310
A Minigun in the TC's weapon position, the M2 has been repositioned to the drivers hatch.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 60927810

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 74895910
The TC's don't get all the fun. A Minigun in the rear hatch/gunners position.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 0735cd10
A lot going on in this one...Minigun in the TC's weapon position, M2 on an elevated mount in the rear hatch/gunners position, extended drive handles so the driver can sit on the top deck, and Beefcake!

That's it for today kiddies, tune in tomorrow for Pt. 5  our  final episode "Artwork on the M113, a non comprehensive montage"

-BadMoon

Last edited by BadMoon on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Empty Re: Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army

Post by BravoSix Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:29 am

Lovely work Badmoon! What a great collection of photos! Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 2978865434

Love the name Surrealist Pillow on the side of that M113. Is that Zippo on the LCM being used a weapons platform? Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 3667010091

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army Empty Re: Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army

Post by BadMoon Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:49 am

BravoSix wrote:Lovely work Badmoon! What a great collection of photos! Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 2978865434

Love the name Surrealist Pillow on the side of that M113. Is that Zippo on the LCM being used a weapons platform? Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 3667010091

Sure is..
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:57 am

That's very ingenious! notworthy

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am

More great photos. Thanks heaps!!

Tom

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 am

Some real interesting setups there. I am not surprised that most of the mini-gun equipped tracks are late models with the flotation gear on them. I know that the one pick of the burned out track with the 2 .50s on the back is an ARVN vehicle, I recall the photo cap saying part of the elite Presidential Guard, though I do not know of that being the actual title of any unit.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BadMoon Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:19 am

Darby wrote:I know that the one pick of the burned out track with the 2 .50s on the back is an ARVN vehicle, I recall the photo cap saying part of the elite Presidential Guard, though I do not know of that being the actual title of any unit.

I've seen it also captioned saying it was a vehicle captured by the VC and was taken out by a M-48.

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomrommel1 Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 pm

Thanks for the pictures
Tomrommel1

Back to top Go down

Post by John previously FoA Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 am

The notification of this thread only just arrived! Super collection, thanks for sharing.

As an aside I have recently had a discussion concerning the "current fashion" of showing weathering particularly chipping/scratches on vehicles. There was a suggestion this is overdone or simply wrong. Their view was vehicles are better maintained than that, regularly cleaned, paint too thick or resistant to chip. I disagreed.

Those Wild Wonderful Tracks of Vietnam Part 4-United States Army 3667010091 John.
John previously FoA
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:21 am

JohnFoA wrote:The notification of this thread only just arrived! Super collection, thanks for sharing

What you received was a newsletter containing featured topics for the forum. It's sent out automatically by Forumotion and helps bring people back to see some of the outstanding work some of the members have been doing on the forum. BadMoon worked pretty hard putting this together and he gets major kudos from me. As does Tom for all his great contributions.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down