Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BadMoon's Vietnam

+3
BravoSix
OTB
BadMoon
7 posters

Go down

BadMoon's Vietnam Empty BadMoon's Vietnam

Post by BadMoon Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Combined Action Platoon USMC/PF

Shortly after coming ashore in Vietnam, the USMC instituted the Combined Action Platoon(s), a program developed in a previous conflict. Under this program, a Rifle Squad of Marines would be placed in a village to assist the Popular Forces (PF's) in combating the Viet Cong.

The Marines were all volunteers, who had some combat experience and spoke at least a little Vietnamese. The basic unit was the Rifle Squad, with an attached Grenadier and Navy Corpsman. The Squad was under the command of a Sergeant, and each fire team was lead by a Corporal or Lance Corporal. Support was provided by "near by" USMC units.

The Popular Forces were a South Vietnamese Militia Force organized by the government. They were a village defense force, by day Farmers, Fishermen, Shopkeepers, and soldiers by night. The PF's were organized as a Rifle Squad, similar to the USMC.

Often there also a small unit from the National Police Field Force present as well, although there job was policing, searching out VC agents, collaborators, interrogation and prisoner transportation, they did not participate (usually) combat operations.

The USMC/PF Combined Action Platoon (CAP) were Headquartered in a fortified position, a mini firebase arrangement. It would consist of a fortified building or two, tent(s), ammo bunker, trenches with barded wire/concertina and punji stakes. Usually there was at least one bunker at the gate, and perhaps some other fighting positions, but no heavy weapons were "authorized". Since these facilities were build "on site" with local(usually) materials and manpower, designs were extremely varied. Marines being masters of "Midnight Requisitioning", often defenses were augmented with "unauthorized" weapons of all sorts.

Operations consisted mainly of small mixed units(2-3 Marines, 3-4 PF's) patrolling and/or setting ambushes, several times each night. Since they operated in an "urban" environment, any weapon heaver than a rifle was rarely taken on operations, to minimalize collateral damage.

This would be an ideal unit to wargame if very small unit actions or even RP'ing was desired. I wanted to portray early CAP operations so Platoon 20 Figures with M-14's were chosen, and Liberation for the PF's. I would highly recommend The Village by Bing West if you are interested in learning more about the Combined Action Platoons.

The Marines

BadMoon's Vietnam Usmc111
BadMoon's Vietnam Usmc211
BadMoon's Vietnam Usmc310
BadMoon's Vietnam Usmc410
BadMoon's Vietnam Usmc510
BadMoon's Vietnam Usmc610

The Popular Forces

BadMoon's Vietnam Pf110
BadMoon's Vietnam Pf210
BadMoon's Vietnam Pf310
BadMoon's Vietnam Pf410
BadMoon's Vietnam Pf510
BadMoon's Vietnam Pf610

BadMoon's Vietnam Pf710

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

BadMoon's Vietnam Empty Re: BadMoon's Vietnam

Post by OTB Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:21 pm

Great stuff - various of those figures are familiar to me as I painted some of them earlier this year too.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Interesting info BadMoon. BadMoon's Vietnam 3667010091

You've been busy painting I see. The figures look great!! BadMoon's Vietnam 424138817

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Good work.

Your wash does a great job with what it is supposed to do. Fill in the crevices. I often have a problem of the wash doing nothing or darkening the whole figure.

I recognize some Platoon 20 and some Liberation figures there.

Tom

BadMoon's Vietnam 7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by yankee sam Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Great work! I too recognize several of the figs.
thanks for sharing these.
yankee sam
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:59 am

Nice work!

-Rod

BadMoon's Vietnam 7zgz5aA
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Persel69 Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:32 am

Great work! What’s minis brand?
Persel69
Persel69

Back to top Go down

Post by BadMoon Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 pm

The USMC are by Platoon 20 (East Riding Miniatures), and the PF's are from Liberation Miniatures.

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down