Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly dumb jungle idea

5 posters

Go down

Possibly dumb jungle idea Empty Possibly dumb jungle idea

Post by Darby Thu May 07, 2020 11:44 am

So, looking at the Charlies Point board, I hated how sparse the jungle looked. Spaced out individual trees, yuk! Just doesn't look the biz in 3/6mm. I wan it to look packed and JUNZGLE COVERED but without the pain of setting out little individual trees.
I saw this: https://www.6mmacw.com/forests.html
Brilliant. Many have done this before, obviously works.
My problem is, however, that I like to put books and stuff under my mat to make some pretty extreme hills, like you'd find in Vietnam. Not little 3" tall round knobs, but hills with ridgelines and saddles. This makes putting single trees, or anything with a base on it a bit difficult. So I have been pondering ideas on how to make flexible jungle. I currently have 2 ideas:

1. Trunks are roofing nails (different heights for single, double, triple canopy) pushed up through some flexible mesh. Canopy is clump foliage (darker colors for single canopy jungle, lightest for triple canopy)glued to flexible net. Pros: flexible Possibly dumb jungle idea 685395913 can take off top to battle beneath. Cons:The trunks visible at the edges would not be vertical on sloped surfaces and might look very weird.

2. Canopy is as above. Trunks are skewers pushed into mat. Mat would need foam beneath it. Pros: maximum customization of trunk placement. All trunks could be vertical. Cons: Would have to have a ton of insulation board, maybe even have the board be nothing but insulation board and no mat. Probably either less customizatable terrain or maybe not being able to place trucks exactly where I want them due to not having enough of a foam backer. Aircraft would have to be on wire which could be shoved down into the foam, would require redoing all of my aircraft and helos (and drilling them for the wire is a pain), and a couple different lengths of wire might be needed.

What do you lads think? Ideas? Opinions?
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Possibly dumb jungle idea Empty Re: Possibly dumb jungle idea

Post by BravoSix Thu May 07, 2020 11:54 am

Ooooh, I like this idea. The link makes it look very effective! Do a test piece.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shooter Fri May 08, 2020 6:54 am

Years ago i did a small piece a bit like that you suggested, i used carpet underlay and had it as two pieces. I made two pieces exactly the same shape and used one as a base the other i used as the canopy . I added roofing nails to the top on but upside down so that the points were sitting on the bottom piece. Added clump foilage and then when you removed top level you still had the foot print on the table with the bottom piece.
Shooter
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Fri May 08, 2020 6:59 am

Sounds like you didn't pursue it after that test. Did it not work as intended?

Possibly dumb jungle idea 7zgz5aA
Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shooter Fri May 08, 2020 6:35 pm

Darby i start a lot of things and get back to them years later. Worked well, it was when i first started out and was doing rapid fire. It worked ok i just moved on. Have all the gear at home to have another go at it so i may just do it again to see what results i can get.
Shooter
FNG
FNG

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Sat May 09, 2020 3:19 am

Try doing both - it sounds like a combination of the two would cover differing requirements in terms of slopes etc.

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Thu May 21, 2020 12:57 pm

So finally did some experimenting. Made big puddles of both elmers glue and super tacky glue and pushed in some clump foliage. When dried I flipped them over, poured on some more glue and pushed in some window mesh. Works great! Flexible and seems relatively durable. Going to try some more colors this weekend for other types of jungle/forest and then see about representing trucks.

Oh give me a hoooome where the NVA roam, and the air support is stacked up all daaaaaay
Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtraCrispy Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 pm

I would make it upside down.

Make a "lid" out of, say, 1" insulation board, topped with something like window screen, covered in clump foliage. Make a matching ground piece to lay n your table. Make tree trunks out of, say, bamboo skewers.

Now you push the skewers UP in to the canopy. The screen stops them poking through (don't make them pointy, make them blunt). Now the trunks "slide" to conform to all but the steepest of slopes.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
aka The Mouse aka ScaleCreepMinis
ExtraCrispy
ExtraCrispy
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 am

Very good idea mark, only prob is it not being flexible as the polyiso would be rigid. Might be too thick for 3mm/6mm.

Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:24 am

Darby, it's funny that the link you provided is the only example of doing a sparse canopy in the wee scales. I did an image search, and that removeable canopy picture was all I could find that looked even similar to what you were talking about.

My micoscale madness (not an official medical term, or diagnosis) has got me thinking about how to do this myself. Short of lots of terrain pieces containing piled up clump foliage.

search

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:07 am

I think I have something that will work for me, though not in the colors I want. The woodland Scenics clump foliage is very drab, so I am looking at other products. Might end up having to make my own, but I'm going to try commercial stuff first. I want brighter greens for taller stuff, and more emerald greens for medium height areas. I have a good darker green for single canopy. Looking at a slightly yellow-green for bamboo n(a super leaf rather than a clump type of foliage). Still slightly undecided on trunks though...

Darby
Darby
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down