Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum

2 posters

Go down

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum Empty Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum

Post by TailEndCharles Thu May 20, 2021 5:51 pm

I posted this article on the FoF Redux Facebook page a couple years back but thought it may be of interest here.

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum 29571410

Recce Report for the Australian Vietnam Veterans Museum Phillip Island - It is what I think you can call a "boutique" museum, not overly large but it does hold a lot of Vietnam era kit. Outside you are met by a naval AA gun, a DCH-4 Caribou and RAN Grumman Tracker.

Once inside there is the mandatory merchandise area and  cashier and the Nui Dat Cafe.  Once you part with the AU$15 to gain entry off you wonder through the main inner doors.

There are two halls, the original building and a newer building attached to the rear of the first. In the first there is simply a corridor that follows the outer walls which holds collections for some of the different Corps, RAR Battalions, RAAF Squadrons, etc. There is also an "armoury" with all the mandatory weapons from the conflict. Above this area is yet another set of collections that can be accessed via numerous stairways.

In the middle of the main hall is then the bigger collections. A M113 with T50 turret and a .30 cal and ,50 cal, Centurion tank, Huey, Cobra, and Sioux helicopters. There is also 2 105 mm guns and ammunition, uniform and tunnel displays, SAS and AATTV collections and some other trivia like the original ballot barrel and balls used for the conscription draws.

There is also a very novel "movie" that runs on demand, motion detector activated, that s basically a set of miniaturised bits and pieces through which a holographic man walks in and out as he tells a story of the Australian activities in Vietnam. It is of course in a well camouflaged field tent with the iconic military fold up chairs.

All around and in the display are a huge range of extremely well done models of just about everything military, armoury, brown water navy, RAN ships, and lots more.  There is one very large replica of HMAS Sydney, the "Vang Tau Ferry".

In the second hall which is a combination, display area, work shop and meeting area there is a Canberra bomber, Wessex helicopter, a MUTT Jeep, Land Rover and an old F1 truck all well marked.

Following this are a range of photos in no particular order or importance. I do have more but I could only add a max of 42 to the post.

I hope you enjoy them.

For Wayne:

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum W-coy_10

If you are interested in the other 40 odd photos the FaceBook post is here:

FoF Redux FaceBook Post

TEC

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum Empty Re: Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum

Post by OTB Thu May 20, 2021 11:04 pm

Great photo! Cool

What a fantastic collection - so that's about an hour's drive south of Melbourne?

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum Empty Re: Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum

Post by TailEndCharles Thu May 20, 2021 11:11 pm

OTB wrote:Great photo! Cool

What a fantastic collection -  so that's about an hour's drive south of Melbourne?

More like 2-3 hours Wayne, depending where you are coming from.  South East of Melbourne to be precise.

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum Melb-p10

It takes me about 1 hour 15 minutes as I live down the South East of Melbourne.

TEC

Australian National Vietnam Veterans Museum 7zgz5aA
TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Good map!

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down