Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese

3 posters

Go down

Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese  Empty Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese

Post by irishserb Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:37 am

I need to pick up more North Vietnamese Army figs and was thinking of adding a platoon of Elhiem figs to my existing platoon of Britannia. The Elhiem figs appear to be nicely detailed and more slight in build, which I think will be okay, as long as they aren't notably shorter than the Britannia figs. My old FAA figs were very slight in build and taller than Britannia, and simply looked to be in a different scale (my understanding is that they were taller than FAA's non-Vietnam figures). I didn't see them as compatable with Britannia and sold them some time back.

Regarding the Elhiem figures, I'm mostly concerned with the compared height of the two manufacturer's figs at this point, but would be interested if anyone has any particular thoughts about putting figs from the two manufacturer's on the same table.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts that anyone might have to share.

Thanks,
irishserb
irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese  Empty Re: Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese

Post by thomastmcc Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:42 am

to be honest mate both totally different and wouldnt mix the two especially if same like vc or us unless different units
thomastmcc
thomastmcc
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese  Empty Re: Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese

Post by Garryowen Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:31 am

To me the problem with mixing Britannia and Elhiem is more one of bulk than height. I would not mix them in the same unit either. But on the same table is okay for me. However, I have a platoon of mixed Liberation and Platoon 20 which I use together. I would have no concerns about mixing Elhiem with them. However, I will do another whole platoon of nothing but Elhiem NVA. They are my favorite.

I sold all of my Britannia NVA due to the bulk problem and also I did not like their helmets. I thought they looked more like Viet Minh than NVA helmets. Having sold all of them, I could not compare heights. However, I still have some Britannia VC and did the best to compare them. I said "did the best" because I had trouble finding standing figures in a similar pose. All the Britannia figures I saw that were not kneeling had their knees significantly bent which shortens them. 

I finally found two to compare and they seemed very close. The Britannia may have been a little shorter. I did not measure from the bottom of the feet to the eyes or the top of the head. I compared them side by side to see how they looked. Measuring from the bottom of the feet to the top of the eyes (or top of the head) doesn't tell you how they will look on the table if the bases are different in thickness.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese  7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by irishserb Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:10 am

Thanks for input, this is sort of what I was expecting. I'll have to think on this a little more.

Initially, the Elhiem figs would make up their own platoon, so wouldn't be mixed within squads with the Britannia figs, though could at times end up mixed from the ensuing chaos of battle.

The helmets were the primary reason for considering the Elhiem figs, and I want to eventully expand to a couple of companies plus support for NVA/PAVN.

Thanks again.

irishserb
irishserb
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Garryowen Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:17 am

I sold my painted and some unpainted Britannia NVA very easily on TMP. I did keep the AA .51cal crews and guns. Once nice thing about NVA is that they paint quickly, so that replacing your painted figures with them would not be as bad as replacing tiger stripes for instance.

Tom

Elhiem v. Britannia 20mm North Vietnamese  7zgz5aA
Garryowen
Garryowen
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down