Fields of Fire:: Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point?

+6
OTB
air bubbles
Garryowen
FlyinSquirrel
Jass
BravoSix
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point?

Post by BadMoon Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:20 pm

I'm currently working on a French Platoon for the 1st Indochina War...then its on to ANZAC's either in 20mm or 15mm(I have both).

-BadMoon
BadMoon
BadMoon
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point?

Post by OTB Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:02 am

Cool! I'm not waiting around to let anyone catch up this time either... Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 321978531 Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 321978531 Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 321978531

Diligent late-night recon up Saigon back alleys...
OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:40 am

Awesome. Let me know details and I'll create a subforum for this build.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:43 am

We know it's Infantry.  Just need to pick a unit size I think or let everyone pick their unit size for the build.  Might get more participation that way.

Last edited by FlyinSquirrel on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

-Rod

Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 7zgz5aA
FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:44 am

And obviously, like last time, a loose timeline because of Covid's affect on the postal service. Though.... in hindsight..... most people have enough infantry lead in their pile to get started.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:01 am

Will it be limited to Free World Forces only?

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 am

I've contacted Mike Ruffle's son thru Grunt! Online to get his blessing. Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 685395913

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:41 am

BravoSix wrote:Will it be limited to Free World Forces only?

He has stuff on PAVN and the VC on his site too...

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:06 am

Well I think I'll be in then. Maybe this is the push to get my 6 man (and lady) guerilla VC squad done.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 am

Now it's getting real... Cool

Painting with acrylics is a doddle. I remember the bad old days of hours over the enamels, stripping my nasal mucus layer on all those nasty chemicals and getting a contact high from sniffing the turps. Lenny Bruce knew what it was all about:

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:02 am

OTB wrote: I remember the bad old days of hours over the enamels, stripping my nasal mucus layer on all those nasty chemicals and getting a contact high from sniffing the turps

Back in the day it wasn't the glue so much as those Testors Model Paints and the Thinner. Evil stuff.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by air bubbles Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 am

OTB wrote:Now it's getting real... Cool

Painting with acrylics is a doddle. I remember the bad old days of hours over the enamels, stripping my nasal mucus layer on all those nasty chemicals and getting a contact high from sniffing the turps. Lenny Bruce knew what it was all about:

to restore the point .
and the smell of tamiya paints ... a friend who became extremely ill some years ago blamed using exclusively tamiya paints and his licking of the brush .. Sad
air bubbles
air bubbles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:38 am

Oh geez...... Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 1516093544

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 am

So can we get a consensus on how many infantry (if it's a battallion like OTB is doing, I'm out)? What type is acceptable? And a timeline? And finally, who's in?

So we can get this thing rolling, and Badmoon has some idea what's happening.

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:56 pm

air bubbles wrote:
to restore the point .
and the smell of tamiya paints ... a friend who became extremely ill some years ago blamed using exclusively tamiya paints and his licking of the brush .. Sad

Yes, Tamiya spraypaints strike me as being quite toxic, and their rattle can varnishes are the worst. I always wear an N-95 mask when I'm using them.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:04 pm

BravoSix wrote:

Back in the day it wasn't the glue so much as those Testors Model Paints and the Thinner. Evil stuff.

Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 Image_17

Laughing  Oddly enough, I am actually using some Testors paints on my ARVN as I rediscovered this stash from the 1980s. Their Mat Light Tan goes on thicker than acrylic, so I should only have to apply two coats instead of the three or more I have to do with acrylics.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:08 pm

BravoSix wrote:So can we get a consensus on how many infantry (if it's a battallion like OTB is doing, I'm out)? What type is acceptable? And a timeline? And finally, who's in?

So we can get this thing rolling, and Badmoon has some idea what's happening.

I think it could be any size or type of infantry unit, so if someone wants to do a heavy weapons squad they can.

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 pm

That sounds good to me. I'll probably be in then.

Wow those Testors bottles bring back tons of memories. Some of them, psychedelic. Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 1932258544

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OTB Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Laughing

OTB
OTB
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by TailEndCharles Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 pm

OTB wrote:I think it could be any size or type of infantry unit, so if someone wants to do a heavy weapons squad they can.

I agree, "A Unit" works for me, I have both a 15mm ANZAC "section" of 10-ish figures and a 15mm VC "squad" also around 10-ish figures in the works that I can use.

TEC

TailEndCharles
TailEndCharles
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by John previously FoA Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:15 am

Okay. Read through, altered by B6 email. Completely not understanding here. Apologies.

What is the plan? Objective, method, time scale???

I am up for some figure painting. What do you guys need.

Never met him but site was great and remember his very good posts. Actually as I get older there are aspects of Crossfire that I really like; but that's a topic for another thread, another day.
John previously FoA
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:12 am

I think the summary right now is this:

Theme = Infantry
Size = Whatever size you decide
Scale = Your choice
Time Scale = ??  Not sure we've decided
Objective = motivation/goal setting in honor of a person who helped a lot of Vietnam Wargamers with his research
Method = each one will have a thread in the sub-forum to show WIP and final pics so all can raise a glass and say "Hu-ahh"

Did I miss anything?  Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 3667010091

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by John previously FoA Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 am

So Flyin Squirrel if I get this - and thanks for your response - We're creating a gallery of one specially chosen and painted unit per FoFR'er in which that unit photoed represents their tribute to Vietnam gaming and by extension Limey6, who put such a large part of their time into it? These would remain on FoFR as a special folder?

If that's right I am all in. Will have ponder on unit choice.

Cheers John
John previously FoA
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BravoSix Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:14 am

Photos won't be added to a gallery per se, but will be immortalized in the author's thread showcasing their work in the group build.

I think we've established this isn't for votes, prizes or wins, but rather a motivational tool to get something accomplished with a goal in mind. And to showcase your work for others to see.

The build ITSELF is dedicated to Mike Ruffle, and since Grunt!Online was infantry focused, an infantry unit makes sense.

End transmission...

-Todd
BravoSix
BravoSix
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyinSquirrel Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 am

Should we do a "Mike Ruffle Memorial Build" at some point? - Page 2 522827596

-Rod

FlyinSquirrel
FlyinSquirrel
Legacy Member
Legacy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next